Another Addition of Vectors question.

This error carries through to your final answer, resulting in a displacement of 0.85 km at an angle of 77 degrees west of north.In summary, the problem involves Sudhir's displacement after walking 0.40 km in a direction 60.0° west of north and then 0.50 km due west. The correct equations to use are Ax = A cos θ and Ay = A sin θ, where θ = tan-1 opposite side/adjacent side. However, in this attempt the x- and y-components were mistakenly switched, resulting in an incorrect answer of 0.85 km at an angle of 77 degrees west of north. The correct answer is 0.87km at
Scooter I

Homework Statement

Sudhir walks 0.40 km in a direction 60.0° west of north, then goes 0.50 km due west. What is his displacement?

Homework Equations

According to my textbook, the equations are:

Ax = A cos θ
Ay = A sin θ
Bx = B cos θ
By = B sin θ
θ = tan-1 opposite side/adjacent side

Source: http://www.jpopovich.com/file.php/19/phy_chap5.pdf on page 122.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://screensnapr.com/e/zuQNvk.png

Click to see full image.

Both my answers are wrong according to my textbook. Can someone tell me why / explain to me?

The real answer: 0.87km at 77 degrees west

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mixed up adding the .5 west. It should go with the west component of the .4, which is the .35 to give you .85.

Keeping 2 digit accuracy in the work only gives you 1 digit accuracy in the final answer.

You seem to have mixed up the x- and y-components for the vector A. You have the correct equations, but you wrote the x-component as the y-component and vice versa.

Related to Another Addition of Vectors question.

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add vectors?

Vectors can be added by placing them tip to tail and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two initial vectors.

3. Can vectors be added in any order?

Yes, vectors can be added in any order because vector addition is commutative, meaning the order of addition does not affect the result.

4. What is the difference between adding vectors and multiplying them?

When adding vectors, the result is a new vector that represents the sum of the initial vectors. When multiplying vectors, the result is a scalar quantity that represents the magnitude of the two vectors multiplied together.

5. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the vector's components. The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or sine, depending on the given information about the vector's components.