Another double slit question - noob

In summary: So, although decoherence does not produce a definite outcome, it does preclude a number of outcomes in which the system could have taken.
lyncsta
another double slit question - noob :(

Hi guys, I never officially studied physics so my knowledge on the topic is limited.

My understanding of quantum physics in relation to the double slit experiment is the following:
When you only observe the end result of light, it appears as if it interferes with itself, suggesting its a wave. But when you observe light mid-travel, it collapses into a particle.

My question: Is it the act of conscious measurement that collapses the wave, or is it simply the fact the light has left a "mark", Regardless of conscious observers or not.

I understand my terminology may be incorrect, and I might be missing some fundamental information. But, please give it a crack.

I would appreciate answers in direct response to my question, and on the broader sense of quantum physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
lyncsta said:
My question: Is it the act of conscious measurement that collapses the wave, or is it simply the fact the light has left a "mark", Regardless of conscious observers or not.

There's no consciousness involved; it's that the light has interacted with the environment around it, or as you say, "left a mark". If you google for "quantum decoherence" you'll find a bunch of interesting stuff.

Decoherence doesn't produce a definite outcome, and it may well be consciousness is necessary. I don't know how Nugatory can rule it out.
I am currently working on the delayed-choice entanglement swapping experiment and Ghirardi's thought experiment in his book 'Sneaking a Look at God's Cards' to try and pin point where collapse occurs.

I myself am a believer in the consciousness causes collapse, but very few associate themselves with that solution to the measurement problem. Thus I'm limited to those I can contact for discussion over the topic.

StevieTNZ said:
Decoherence doesn't produce a definite outcome, and it may well be consciousness is necessary.
Decoherence doesn't produce a specific outcome (the particle may still go through one slit or the other) but it does preclude all the outcomes in which the particle can be said to go through both slits - and it does so without ever invoking any consciousness anywhere.

If you take the full environment into account, then both slits the photon (or whatever particle) goes through.

The interference pattern is still present, except it is hidden.

I should add that although decoherence does not solve the measurement problem, if you have two terms that are effectively mixtures, then the particle must have gone through one or the other slit. Then you have no measurement problem. But as admitted, decoherence does not solve it, therefore the system is in a superposition of going through both slits.

The measurement problem is not concerned with what outcome arises; its about how that outcome came about.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light and other particles. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of light is directed towards two parallel slits. The light passes through the slits and diffracts, creating an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits. This pattern is the result of the overlapping of the diffracted waves from each slit.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and other particles. It shows that particles can behave as both waves and particles, depending on how they are observed.

4. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment has been performed with many different types of particles, including electrons, protons, and even large molecules. Each particle produces an interference pattern, demonstrating the wave-like behavior of matter.

5. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is one of the key experiments that led to the development of quantum mechanics. It challenges classical physics by showing that particles can behave as waves and that the act of observation can affect their behavior. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.