Another integral representation of the Riemann zeta function

In summary, we discussed another integral representation of the Riemann zeta function that is valid for all complex values of $s$. It is similar to the first representation, but a bit harder to derive. We also checked for some special cases and found that the representation holds true for $s=0$ and $s=-1$. Additionally, we found that the derivative of $\zeta(s)$ at $s=0$ is $-\frac{\ln (2 \pi)}{2}$.
polygamma
Here is another integral representation of $\zeta(s)$ that is valid for all complex values of $s$.

It's similar to the first one, but a bit harder to derive.$ \displaystyle \zeta(s) = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} (e^{2 \pi t} - 1)} \ dt + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{s-1}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to attempt this one either.Again I'm going to add the restriction that $\text{Re}(s) >1$ which can be removed at the end.$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} (e^{2 \pi t} - 1)} \ dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s} (e^{2 \pi t}-1)} \ dt $I'm leaving the imaginary sign inside of the integral since bringing it outside would result in a divergent integral.[tex] \displaystyle = \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s}} \frac{e^{-\pi t}}{e^{\pi t}-e^{- \pi t}} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s}} \Big( \frac{e^{\pi t} + e^{\pi t}}{e^{\pi t} - e^{- \pi t}} -1 \Big) \ dt [/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s}} \Big( \coth(\pi t) -1 \Big) \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{\coth( \pi t) }{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt - \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt [/tex]
[tex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt = \frac{i}{1-s}\frac{1}{ (1-it)^{s-1}} \Big|^{\infty}_{0} = \frac{i}{s-1} [/tex]
[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{\coth( \pi t) }{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \ \text{Im} \ \frac{\coth(\pi t)}{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \text{PV} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\coth(\pi t)}{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt [/tex]Let [tex] z = 1-it [/tex][tex] = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \text{PV}\int^{1+ i \infty}_{1- i \infty} i \coth \Big( \pi i (z-1) \Big) \frac{dz}{z^{s}} \ dz = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \text{PV}\int^{1+ i \infty}_{1- i \infty} \cot \Big( \pi(z-1) \Big) \frac{dz}{z^{s}} = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \text{PV}\int^{1+ i \infty}_{1- i \infty} \frac{\cot (\pi z)}{z^{s}} \ dz [/tex]where the contour is a vertical lineSince there is a branch point at the origin, close the contour to the right.Then [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \text{Im} \ \frac{\coth( \pi t) }{(1-it)^{s}} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \Big( \pi i \text{Res} \Big[ \frac{\cot(\pi z)}{z^{s}} , 1 \Big] + 2 \pi i \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \text{Res} \Big[\frac{\cot (\pi z)}{z^{s}}, n \Big] \Big) [/tex]

[tex] =\frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \Big( \pi i \Big( \frac{1}{\pi} \Big) + 2 \pi i \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\pi n^{s}} \Bigg) = \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \Big( i + 2 i \zeta(s) - 2i \Big) = \zeta(s) - \frac{1}{2} [/tex]
Putting things together we get[tex] \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} (e^{2 \pi t} - 1)} \ dt = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \zeta(s) - \frac{1}{2} \Big) - \frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \ \frac{i}{s-1} = \frac{\zeta(s)}{2} - \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{2(1-s)} [/tex][tex] \displaystyle \implies \zeta(s)= 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin (s \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{s/2} (e^{2 \pi t} - 1)} \ dt+ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{s-1} [/tex]

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to attempt this one either...

We do recommend that those posting challenges give our members at least a week to respond. This allows those who may only have time to visit us once a week to have a chance to answer our posted challenge questions, all of which we greatly appreciate! (Clapping)

I've waited at least a week in the past (or until I was asked to post a solution/evaluation). The last one went unanswered for about 4 weeks.

I actually wanted to see the complete evaluation myself since I had only scribbled some stuff down on scratch paper.

Random Variable said:
...I actually wanted to see the complete evaluation myself since I had only scribbled some stuff down on scratch paper.

Haha...I know what you mean there...most times when I post a challenge question, that's all I have in the way of a solution, and it is from these scratchings that I then construct a (hopefully) coherent solution to post. :D

However, I did feel it was incumbent on me to point out our http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/guidelines-posting-answering-challenging-problem-puzzle-3875.html, especially since you specifically stated that you may be "jumping the gun." (Wink)

We should check that we get what we expect for $s=0$ and $s=-1$.$ \displaystyle \zeta(0) = 0 + \frac{1}{2} - 1 = - \frac{1}{2} $$ \displaystyle \zeta(-1) = -2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t}{e^{2 \pi t} -1} \ dt + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} = - \frac{1}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{u}{e^{u}-1} \ du = -\frac{1}{2 \pi^{2}} \Gamma (2) \zeta(2)= - \frac{1}{12}$If you want to be really adventurous, you could check that $ \displaystyle \zeta'(0) = - \frac{\ln (2 \pi)}{2} $.

Actually it's not that adventurous to find $\zeta' (0)$ from the representation.Differentiating inside of the integral we get

$$ \zeta'(0) = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\arctan t}{e^{2 \pi t} -1} \ dt - 1 $$Binet's integral formula, from which the asymptotic expansion of the Gamma function can be derived, states that

$$ 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\arctan \left( \frac{x}{z} \right)}{e^{2 \pi x} -1} \ dx = \ln \Gamma(z) - \left( z- \frac{1}{2} \right) \ln z + z - \frac{\ln (2 \pi)}{2} $$ So $ \displaystyle \zeta'(0) = 1 - \frac{\ln(2 \pi)}{2} - 1 = - \frac{\ln (2 \pi)}{2}$

1. What is the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function is a mathematical function that was first defined by Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It is denoted by the symbol ζ(s) and is defined for all complex numbers s with real part greater than 1. It plays a crucial role in number theory and has connections to other areas of mathematics such as complex analysis and harmonic analysis.

2. What is an integral representation of the Riemann zeta function?

An integral representation of the Riemann zeta function is a way of expressing the function as an integral (a mathematical concept similar to the area under a curve) of another function. One example of such a representation is the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which relates the zeta function to the Bernoulli numbers and involves an infinite sum.

3. What is the significance of another integral representation of the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function is a complex and important function in mathematics, and having multiple integral representations can provide new insights and connections to other areas of mathematics. It also allows for different methods of calculation and approximation, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. How is another integral representation of the Riemann zeta function derived?

There are several methods for deriving another integral representation of the Riemann zeta function. One approach is to use properties of the function such as its analytic continuation and functional equation, along with techniques from complex analysis. Another approach is to use integral transforms, such as the Mellin transform, to relate the zeta function to other functions.

5. What are some other integral representations of the Riemann zeta function?

Aside from the Euler-Maclaurin formula, there are many other known integral representations of the Riemann zeta function. Some examples include the Fourier transform of the zeta function, the Ramanujan-Sato series, and various contour integral representations involving special functions such as the gamma function. Each of these representations has its own unique properties and applications.