• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
We all read/see/hear articles and discussions about how things on the Internet in particular, but even to some extent in "mainstream" media (to say nothing of right wing and left wing publications) can be misleading or just downright false.

I was interested to see that, not too surprizingly, this goes back quite a way. In 1917 H.L. Mencken, then one of the most widely read and highly respected newspaper writers wrote a long, detailed, and totally spurious article about the invention of the bathtub.

Mencken's bathtub hoax

He declared publicly and repeatedly that it was a joke, and It would have been easily debunked at the time, had anyone bothered to check, but it became very widespread and was quoted in many reputable publications. As he later said:
The success of this idle hoax, done in time of war, when more serious writing was impossible, vastly astonished me. It was taken gravely by a great many other newspapers, and presently made its way into medical literature and into standard reference books. It had, of course, no truth in it whatsoever, and I more than once confessed publicly that it was only a jocosity ... Scarcely a month goes by that I do not find the substance of it reprinted, not as foolishness but as fact, and not only in newspapers but in official documents and other works of the highest pretensions.

And he was also known to have said
The majority of men prefer delusion to truth. It soothes. It is easy to grasp.

It's the truth of that last quote that really struck a chord with me. We see too much of it today.

Likes nuuskur, mcastillo356, Bystander and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would a false belief be "easier to grasp" than actual facts?

How does believing the Earth is flat instead of spherical easier to understand? Or that a table was moved by a ghost is easier to visualize than some guy who used a trick on you?

It has much more to do with how much one respects the source of his/her false belief versus the source stating the facts. For you to defend your belief, you must have tremendous respect for your original belief's sources and/or very low respect for the people/organizations stating the facts.

If we see too much of it today, it is most likely a measure of the trust people put in our "fact sources". And if anonymous Internet sources are perceived as more credible than a government or the scientific community, it tells more about the latter than the former.

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
And he was also known to have said:
The majority of men prefer delusion to truth. It soothes. It is easy to grasp.
phinds said:
It's the truth of that last quote that really struck a chord with me. We see too much of it today.
I think the soothes and is easy to grasp refers to the lack of mental effort one has to put expend in order to reach a conclusion and bring an end to the need for having to think about something of low interest.
I think this mental process goes on in many, for different subjects.

jack action said:
It has much more to do with how much one respects the source of his/her false belief versus the source stating the facts.
Certainly this makes sense in some situations.

jack action said:
Why would a false belief be "easier to grasp" than actual facts?
Actual facts sometimes require a bit of actual THINKING and lots of people don't want to be bothered by that.

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy, OmCheeto and BillTre
It goes back further - you have the Yellow Journalism of the 19th century, but it probably goes back to cave paintings.

Likes Bystander

What is meant by "Another (old) example of fake news"?

This phrase typically refers to a historical instance where misinformation or deliberately misleading news was spread. These examples can serve to illustrate that the phenomenon of fake news is not exclusive to the modern digital era but has been a part of media and communication throughout history.

Can you give examples of old fake news?

Yes, one famous example is the "Great Moon Hoax" of 1835, where a New York newspaper published articles claiming life had been discovered on the moon. Another example is the false reporting during the Spanish-American War in 1898, which was partly inflamed by sensationalist and exaggerated journalism, often cited as "yellow journalism."

How did fake news spread before modern technology?

Before the advent of digital platforms, fake news spread through traditional print media like newspapers and flyers, as well as through word of mouth. Sensational stories were often published to increase newspaper sales, without thorough fact-checking or verification.

What impact did historical fake news have?

Historical fake news could have significant impacts, including swaying public opinion, influencing political decisions, and even inciting conflicts or wars. For instance, misleading reports and sensationalism in the media played a role in fueling the Spanish-American War.

How can we learn from historical examples of fake news?

Studying historical instances of fake news helps us understand the importance of critical thinking and the need for media literacy. It also highlights the role of responsible journalism in maintaining an informed public and underscores the ongoing challenge of verifying information in any era.