Another way to calculate loss of energy

In summary: Using 0.019 as delta y would give you the time the ball took from the bottom of the slope to the top of the slope.
Vee9

Homework Statement

How would you calculate the loss of energy down the ramp, given only the following information:
Mass of ball = 0.0083 kg
and
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/Physics_/Energy.jpg

Homework Equations

E = mgh
E = 0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found one way:
To compare the energy at the top of the ramp, which is E = mgh and the energy at the bottom of the ramp, E2 = mgh + 0.5mv^2 and also compare E to the energy at the bottom of the projectile, E3 = 0.5mv^2.

Is this correct?
What is another way to calculate loss of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that all the energy from falling down the ramp is converted into motion in the horizontal axis.
Then you could use the equations of motion under constant acceleration to solve for inital horizontal speed,
[tex] v^2 =u^2 +2 a s [/tex]

[tex]v=u + a t[/tex]

[tex]s=u t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2
[/tex]
Dont forget to split the motion into horizontal and vertical components to find the time t that the ball is in the air.

then use
[tex]
Ke= \frac{1}{2} m v^2

[/tex]
to find the energy at the bottom of the ramp. Then compare that to the energy at the top of the ramp given by [tex] E=m g h [/tex]

Azelketh said:
Assuming that all the energy from falling down the ramp is converted into motion in the horizontal axis.
Then you could use the equations of motion under constant acceleration to solve for inital horizontal speed,
[tex] v^2 =u^2 +2 a s [/tex]

[tex]v=u + a t[/tex]

[tex]s=u t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2
[/tex]
Dont forget to split the motion into horizontal and vertical components to find the time t that the ball is in the air.

then use
[tex]
Ke= \frac{1}{2} m v^2

[/tex]
to find the energy at the bottom of the ramp. Then compare that to the energy at the top of the ramp given by [tex] E=m g h [/tex]

I'm sorry, but what is "u" and "s"? :S
And I think I did what you said to find v.

I just need a second method to find the loss of energy...

Last edited:
u = the the initial velocity

s= distance travelled

so from your diagram s=0.381 meters in horizontal axis
and s=0.904+0.019=0.923 meters in the vertical direction

Sorry for any confusion caused. Your method is correct and the easiest using the information you have.

Azelketh said:
u = the the initial velocity

s= distance travelled

so from your diagram s=0.381 meters in horizontal axis
and s=0.904+0.019=0.923 meters in the vertical direction

Sorry for any confusion caused. Your method is correct and the easiest using the information you have.

lol, ohh. It's okay. :)
Thanks for your help.

The thing is, the teacher asked us to "measure as accurately as possible and in more than one method, the loss of energy."
So I was thinking of using the method above as one method.

Then comparing Ek (kinetic energy) of the ball at the end of the ramp and the Ek of the ball at the bottom of the projectile, as a second method.
Or is that wrong?

comparing the kinetic energy at the end of the ramp and bottom would give you the energy gained due to falling as the difference.

It wouldent allow you to find the energy lost on the ramp as the energy at the end of the ramp has already lost the energy on the ramp if that makes sense.

Azelketh said:
comparing the kinetic energy at the end of the ramp and bottom would give you the energy gained due to falling as the difference.

It wouldent allow you to find the energy lost on the ramp as the energy at the end of the ramp has already lost the energy on the ramp if that makes sense.

Yeah, sorry. I realized that after a while.
I'm stuck.
I don't know any other way to find the difference in energy.

Also, when I find E1 = mgh, would I use (0.307+ 0.904) as "h" or would I just use 0.307 as "h?"
And when finding the time of the projectile in E2 using y = 0.5gt^2, would I use (0.019+0.904) as delta y?

Last edited:
Vee9 said:
Yeah, sorry. I realized that after a while.
I'm stuck.
I don't know any other way to find the difference in energy.

Also, when I find E1 = mgh, would I use (0.307+ 0.904) as "h" or would I just use 0.307 as "h?"
And when finding the time of the projectile in E2 using y = 0.5gt^2, would I use (0.019+0.904) as delta y?

Using
[tex]
h_1= 0.307+ 0.904 = 1.211
[/tex]
[tex]
E_1=m g h_1
[/tex]

then E1 gives you the potential energy with respect to the ground.

Using 0.307 as h would give you the potential energy with respect to the top of the black section on your diagram, so it wouldent be useful here i think.

Using 0.019 + 0.904 as the change in height is correct.

1. What is meant by "loss of energy"?

Loss of energy refers to the decrease in the amount of energy present in a system. This can occur due to various factors such as friction, heat transfer, and inefficiencies in energy conversion processes.

2. How is "loss of energy" typically calculated?

The most common method for calculating loss of energy is by using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What is the "another way" to calculate loss of energy?

Another way to calculate loss of energy is by using the second law of thermodynamics, which takes into account the direction and efficiency of energy transfer. This method is often used in more complex systems where the first law may not give an accurate representation of energy loss.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics factor into the calculation of loss of energy?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, there will always be some energy that is lost in the form of heat. This law helps to quantify the amount of energy lost and can be used in conjunction with the first law to give a more accurate calculation of loss of energy.

5. Can loss of energy be prevented?

In most cases, it is impossible to prevent all loss of energy. This is due to the fact that energy is constantly being converted and transferred, and some amount of loss is inevitable. However, steps can be taken to minimize energy loss, such as using more efficient processes and technologies.