Answer = 35.3 Watts to Keep 64oz Bottle at 40 Deg in 10 Deg Temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary watts to keep a 64oz bottle of water at 40 degrees when the surrounding temperature is 10 degrees, assuming surface area is not taken into account. It also touches on the calculation of BTUs and watts and a potential disagreement about free expansion resulting in a temperature drop.
EnrgyXprt
How many watts would you need to keep a 64oz bottle of water at 40 degrees when the temperature surrounding the bottle is 10 degrees
(that's assuming you don't take into account surface area) ?

How many btus if you took into account the surface area of a 64oz soda bottle ?

What I did was,
1 BTU will raise the temp of 1 lb of water 1 Deg F

64 Oz bottle, 4 lbs of water

30 Deg Temp diff, 30 x 4 = 120 Btus
3.4 Btu's per watt

120/3.4 = 35.3 watts

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Is this the exact statement of the problem you are trying to solve? The statement makes no sense, particularly the part about not taking the surface area into account. You need to find the rate of heat transfer between the water inside the bottle, and the air outside. To do this you need to know the surface area, the heat transfer coefficient, and the temperature driving force (which you give as 30 F).

The way you did the problem is not correct. Also, 3.4 BTUs is not 1 watt. BTUs are energy, and watts are energy per unit time.

@ Chet: this has nothing to do with this post. I wanted to send you a WORD file within a personal message but can't do it, so I'm attaching the file here.

If you're interested, I have a writeup from a former co-worker who insists that a free expansion results in a temperature drop.

Any comment you'd like to make I will forward to him. I have given up trying to convince him he's wrong. Of course, if you agree with him, that'd be fine with me. I'm always willing to learn!

Thanks,
rudy

Attachments

• _Derivation of Discrete Formula for Adiabatic Heating and Cooling_.docx
    77.9 KB · Views: 266

What does "Answer = 35.3 Watts to Keep 64oz Bottle at 40 Deg in 10 Deg Temp" mean?

This statement is referring to the amount of energy, measured in watts, needed to maintain a 64oz bottle of liquid at a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an environment with a temperature of 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

Why is it important to know the watts required to maintain a certain temperature for a liquid?

Knowing the watts required allows scientists to accurately design systems and equipment for temperature control. It also helps in determining energy and cost efficiency of the system.

What factors influence the watts needed to maintain a specific temperature for a liquid?

The watts needed depends on several factors including the type of liquid, its volume, the desired temperature, and the ambient temperature of the environment.

How can the watts needed to maintain a specific temperature for a liquid be calculated?

The watts needed can be calculated using the specific heat capacity of the liquid, the volume of the liquid, and the temperature difference between the liquid and the environment.

What would happen if the watts needed to maintain the temperature of the liquid are not met?

If the watts needed are not met, the temperature of the liquid may fluctuate, leading to potential damage or spoilage of the liquid. This can also result in higher energy costs and inefficient temperature control.