Answer Check for kinematic in 2-d

• Thread starter Filenes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the customer in a local bar slides an empty beer mug down the counter, which then slides off and strikes the floor 1.10 m from the base of the counter. The mug left the counter with a velocity of 2.68 m/s, and the direction of its velocity just before hitting the floor was found to be 45 degrees below the horizontal axis. However, the impact angle was later calculated to be -315 degrees.
Filenes

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 1.10 m from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is 0.820 m.
(a) With what velocity did the mug leave the counter?
correct check mark m/s
(b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?
wrong check mark
Your answer differs from the correct answer by 10% to 100%.° (below the horizontal)

Homework Equations

I found (a) which is 2.68 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

For b) i used sqrt(2.68^2+2.68^) = 3.79 and did,
theta = cos^-1(2.68/3.79) which is 45 degrees, which is wrong but since it say below the horizontal axis, will it be -315 degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Filenes said:

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 1.10 m from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is 0.820 m.
(a) With what velocity did the mug leave the counter?
correct check mark m/s
(b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?
wrong check mark
Your answer differs from the correct answer by 10% to 100%.° (below the horizontal)

Homework Equations

I found (a) which is 2.68 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

For b) i used sqrt(2.68^2+2.68^) = 3.79 and did,
theta = cos^-1(2.68/3.79) which is 45 degrees, which is wrong but since it say below the horizontal axis, will it be -315 degree?

I got the same for part a but I got something different for the impact angle.

the impact creates a triangle with x velocity and y velocity at impact. x velocity is constant at 2.68 m/s and I get 4.01 m/s for y velocity. Just finish it and you should get the right answer.

thanks alot.. now i got to figure out why is the y velocity different .. thanks!

Related to Answer Check for kinematic in 2-d

1. What is kinematics in 2-d?

Kinematics in 2-d refers to the study of motion in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in a two-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve kinematic problems in 2-d?

To solve kinematic problems in 2-d, you need to use equations of motion such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in the x and y directions. These equations can be derived from basic calculus and can be used to determine the motion of an object in two dimensions.

3. What are the key concepts of kinematics in 2-d?

The key concepts of kinematics in 2-d include position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

4. What is the importance of kinematics in 2-d in science?

Kinematics in 2-d is important in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to study and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

5. How can I check my answers for kinematic problems in 2-d?

You can check your answers for kinematic problems in 2-d by using the appropriate equations and plugging in the given values. You can also use graphing techniques or check your solution with a calculator to ensure accuracy.