Answer out by 2 orders of magnitude....how?

In summary: With this correction I get 2.2 N.In summary, the applied force needed to slow the grindstone from 200 rpm to 180 rpm over 10 seconds, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20, is 2.2 N.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

A tradesman sharpens a knife by pushing it against a grindstone with a given applied force. The grindstone is 28kg, 15 cm in radius, is originally going at 200 rpm but is slowed down to 180 rpm over 10 s by applying the knife. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. What is the applied force.

Text answer: 2.2 N

My answer: 0.022 N

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\Delta w}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\tau = \alpha I[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = \frac{\tau}{r} = 0.20 F_{app}[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{rad}{s} = rpm\frac{2\pi}{60}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha = \frac{-20}{10} = -2 \frac{rpm}{s}[/tex]

[tex]-2 \frac{rpm}{s} = \frac{-\pi}{15}\frac{rad}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}28(0.15)^2 = 3.15\times 10^{-3} kg.m^2[/tex]

[tex]\tau = \left|\frac{-\pi}{15}\right|3.15\times 10^{-3} \approx 6.6\times 10^{-3} N.m[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = \frac{6.6\times 10^{-3}}{0.15} = 4.4\times 10^{-3} N[/tex]

[tex]F_{app} = \frac{4.4\times 10^{-3}}{0.20} = 0.022 N[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
To make it easier on yourself (and others like me) you should not plug in values until the very end of the calculation. This makes it MUCH easier to trace back any mistakes. Also, the form of the final equation can sometimes give you insight.

Anyway your calculation for the moment of inertia is small by a factor of 100 for some reason. 14*0.15^2 is 0.315 not 0.00315

Likes kostoglotov and berkeman

1. How can a measurement be off by 2 orders of magnitude?

There are several factors that can cause a measurement to be off by 2 orders of magnitude. These include human error, equipment malfunction, and incorrect calibration. Additionally, the use of incorrect units or a lack of precision in the measurement process can also contribute to a large discrepancy in the results.

2. Can a measurement be corrected if it is off by 2 orders of magnitude?

In some cases, it may be possible to correct a measurement that is off by 2 orders of magnitude. This would require identifying the source of the error and making adjustments to the measurement process or equipment. However, in other cases, the measurement may be too far off to be corrected and may need to be repeated.

3. How can you ensure that a measurement is accurate to within 2 orders of magnitude?

To ensure accuracy within 2 orders of magnitude, it is important to carefully calibrate and maintain all equipment used for measurements. Additionally, using multiple measurement techniques and repeating measurements can help to reduce the likelihood of large discrepancies.

4. What is the significance of being off by 2 orders of magnitude in a measurement?

Being off by 2 orders of magnitude in a measurement means that the result is 100 times larger or smaller than the actual value. This level of discrepancy can significantly impact the interpretation and validity of the data, making it important to identify and address any errors in the measurement process.

5. Is it common for measurements to be off by 2 orders of magnitude?

No, it is not common for measurements to be off by 2 orders of magnitude. Most scientific measurements are precise and accurate, with discrepancies typically being within a few percentage points. However, in certain situations where measurements are complex or require advanced equipment, larger discrepancies may occur. It is important to carefully evaluate and validate all measurements to ensure their accuracy and reliability.