Answer Physics Homework: Optics, Distance between Patient's Eyes & Glasses

In summary, to find the distance between the patient's eyes and the glasses, we use the equation 1/do = R - 1/di, where R is the refractive power of the glasses and di is the patient's far point distance. Plugging in the values, we get a distance of 0.462 meters.
lolcheelol

Homework Statement

A nearsighted patient's far point is 0.717 m from her eyes. She is able to see distant objects in focus when wearing glasses with a refractive power of -1.45 diopters. What is the distance between her eyes and the glasses?

di = 0.717m
refractive power = -1.45 diopters

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f
refractive = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to put the refractive power into the focal point using the equation my book gave us.
-1.45 = 1/f
f = 1/-1.45

Then I set up the equation as best as I could

1/do + 1/.717 = 1/-1.45
-> 1/do = 1/-1.45 - 1/.717
-> 1/do = -2.084
-> do = -.4798

This answer wasn't correct and I don't even know if I'm doing it right...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with using the equations for calculating the distance of an object to a lens. However, there are a few things to consider in this problem that may be causing your answer to be incorrect.

First, the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f is used for calculating the focal length (f) of a lens, not the distance (do) of an object from the lens. In this problem, we are trying to find the distance between the patient's eyes and the glasses, not the focal length of the glasses.

Second, the refractive power (R) of a lens is equal to 1/f, not just f. So in this case, the refractive power of the glasses would be -1.45 diopters, which can be converted to -0.6897 meters^-1.

With these considerations, we can set up the following equation:

1/do + 1/di = R
-> 1/do = R - 1/di
-> do = 1/(R - 1/di)
-> do = 1/(-0.6897 - 1/-0.717)
-> do = 0.462 m

This means that the distance between the patient's eyes and the glasses is approximately 0.462 meters.

I hope this helps clarify the problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How can I calculate the distance between a patient's eyes and their glasses?

The distance between a patient's eyes and their glasses can be calculated using the formula: D = f x 1000 / P, where D is the distance in millimeters, f is the focal length of the glasses in meters, and P is the power of the glasses in diopters. Alternatively, you can measure the distance physically using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What is the relationship between optics and distance between a patient's eyes and glasses?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. The distance between a patient's eyes and their glasses is important in optics because it determines the placement of the glasses in relation to the patient's eyes, which affects their vision and the effectiveness of the glasses.

3. How does the distance between a patient's eyes and glasses affect their vision?

The distance between a patient's eyes and their glasses can greatly affect their vision. If the glasses are too far away, the patient may experience blurry or distorted vision. If the glasses are too close, the patient may experience eye strain or headaches. It is important to properly measure and adjust the distance between the patient's eyes and glasses for optimal vision.

4. Can the distance between a patient's eyes and glasses change over time?

Yes, the distance between a patient's eyes and glasses can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in prescription, changes in the patient's eyesight, or even changes in the patient's facial structure. It is important to regularly check and adjust the distance between the patient's eyes and glasses to ensure proper vision.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance between a patient's eyes and glasses?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the distance between a patient's eyes and glasses. These include the type and shape of the glasses, the position of the glasses on the patient's face, and the patient's head and eye movements. It is important to take these factors into consideration when measuring and adjusting the distance between the patient's eyes and glasses for optimal vision.