Answer: Understanding Multirange Voltmeter Internal Wiring

• Thread starter parm09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltmeter
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a "three-scale" voltmeter and its internal wiring. The meter has binding posts marked with different voltage ranges and one connection is made to the post marked +. The problem involves finding R1, R2, R3 and the overall resistance of the meter on different voltage ranges. The formula V=IR and Vcoil=IgRcoil are also mentioned.
parm09
Can someone please help me out with this problem? I am not sure if what I am doing

question:
The figure below shows the internal wiring of a "three-scale" voltmeter whose binding posts are marked , 3.00 V, 15.0 V, and 150 V. When the meter is connected to the circuit being measured, one connection is made to the post marked + and the other to the post marked with the desired voltage range. The resistance of the moving coil is Rg, and a current of I in the coil causes it to deflect full scale.

Picutre:
yf_Figure_26_64.jpg

we know v=i/r and Vcoil=IgRcoil

dont know where to begin

Attachments

• yf_Figure_26_64.jpg
    yf_Figure_26_64.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 633
Physics news on Phys.org
What is required in the problem?

sorry forgot to mention that. you have to find R1, R2, R3. Also find the overall resistance of the meter on a 3.00, 15.0, 150 V-range

Why don't you state the entire text of the problem, verbatum? It should have a question mark somewhere to be answered.

What is R1, R2, R3 and what is the overall resistance of the meter on a 3.00, 15.0, 150 V-range? that what its asking

Related to Answer: Understanding Multirange Voltmeter Internal Wiring

1. What is a multirange voltmeter?

A multirange voltmeter is a type of electronic instrument used to measure voltage. It has multiple ranges, allowing it to measure a wide range of voltages, from low to high.

2. How does a multirange voltmeter work?

A multirange voltmeter works by using a combination of resistors and switches to select the appropriate range for the voltage being measured. The voltage is then compared to a known reference voltage and displayed on a scale.

3. What is the importance of understanding the internal wiring of a multirange voltmeter?

Understanding the internal wiring of a multirange voltmeter is important because it allows you to troubleshoot and repair any issues that may arise. It also helps you to understand the limitations and capabilities of the instrument.

4. What are the components of a multirange voltmeter?

The main components of a multirange voltmeter include a selector switch, a range resistor network, a reference voltage source, and a display unit. Some models may also have additional components such as fuses and protective circuits.

5. How do you interpret the readings on a multirange voltmeter?

The readings on a multirange voltmeter should be interpreted based on the selected range. The decimal point on the display indicates the range being used, and the numbers displayed should be multiplied by the range to get the actual voltage reading. It is important to also consider the precision and accuracy of the instrument when interpreting readings.