Anti vandal led button MOFSET question

• Thread starter BaDaBooMM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led
In summary: I need to connect an LED to a pushbutton but I don't know what kind of resistor to use.In summary, you need an N-channel MOSFET to switch power to a battery monitor and you need a pull down resistor to reduce voltage drops.
BaDaBooMM
I'm a total noob when it comes to electronics and you are going to lol at me. Please don't lol too hard.
Becuase I'm not really good at this stuff its going to be hard for me to explain but Ill do my best.

I have circuit board for an ecig that I want to use a led anti vandal switch for it like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-LED-Illuminated-Vandal-Proof-Anti-Vandal-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-/331283052848?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

So what's the problem ? I only want the led to light up when the button is pressed and go off when the the button is released.

What I think I need is a MOFSET that can monitor the drain from the battery ??

As you can see my wiring diagrams if you can even call them that are for children. I've got this far and now I'm stuck.
Imhgjghage2.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a pretty confusing pushbutton + LED combination. From the e-Bay description, they say they used a 4.2V source and a 470k resistor to light the LED, which makes no sense at all. That's way too big of a resistor.

And going to the home website for the manufacturer, it looks like you need to specify what voltage you are going to put across the +/- terminals for the LED, which would imply that the current-limiting resistor is already part of the pushbutton housing:

http://www.onpow.com/en/product/product1351.html

The lowest LED voltage option they list is 6V, so you probably can't light the LED with just your 3.7V e-cigarette battery.

The simplest way to light an LED when you press a button to turn on your e-cigarette circuit would be to use a double-pole, single-throw pushbutton, and connect power to an LED through a current-limiting resistor with the second pole of the switch.

berkeman said:
That's a pretty confusing pushbutton + LED combination. From the e-Bay description, they say they used a 4.2V source and a 470k resistor to light the LED, which makes no sense at all. That's way too big of a resistor.

And going to the home website for the manufacturer, it looks like you need to specify what voltage you are going to put across the +/- terminals for the LED, which would imply that the current-limiting resistor is already part of the pushbutton housing:

http://www.onpow.com/en/product/product1351.html

The lowest LED voltage option they list is 6V, so you probably can't light the LED with just your 3.7V e-cigarette battery.

The simplest way to light an LED when you press a button to turn on your e-cigarette circuit would be to use a double-pole, single-throw pushbutton, and connect power to an LED through a current-limiting resistor with the second pole of the switch.

Thanks for help but I'm lost :)

This is what was posted in another forum but I don't really understand it.

You need an N fet like this one Infineon BSR802N L6327

It's not a complicated task to switch power to the battery monitor, just use a small power MOSFET in an SOT23 package which is not terribly small or hard to work with. The MOSFET gate is driven by the atomizer. The drain and source of the MOSFET switch the power supply to the monitor.

To work with the logic polarity of the atomizer (high = on, low = off) you need to use an N-channel MOSFET configured as a low side switch. The low side (battery negative) for the monitor is switched, not the high side (battery positive). The connection is as follows;

Ground for the detector connected to NMOS drain.
Battery negative connected to NMOS source.
A pull-down resistor connected from gate to source.
Atomizer positive connected to the gate.

That FET you selected should do the job just fine. You could even go as high as a 1/2 Ohm "on" resistance since the currents required to power the monitor are pretty low reducing the effect of switch resistance on voltage drops.

Pull down resistor values are not critical, anything between 4.7k and 47k should be fine. 10k would be a typical value.

I was following the instructions in the qouted text above and got stuck.

Imafghfgge3.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is an anti vandal led button MOFSET?

An anti vandal led button MOFSET is a type of electronic switch that is designed to prevent vandalism and tampering. It is commonly used in public areas and outdoor settings where there is a risk of the button being damaged or destroyed.

2. How does an anti vandal led button MOFSET work?

An anti vandal led button MOFSET works by using a metal dome switch and a metal plate. When the button is pressed, the metal dome makes contact with the metal plate, completing the circuit and allowing electricity to flow through. This design makes it difficult for the button to be damaged or tampered with.

3. What are the benefits of using an anti vandal led button MOFSET?

Using an anti vandal led button MOFSET has several benefits. It is durable and resistant to damage, making it ideal for outdoor use. It also has a long lifespan, reducing the need for frequent replacements. Additionally, it provides a secure and reliable way to control electrical circuits.

4. How is an anti vandal led button MOFSET different from a regular button?

An anti vandal led button MOFSET is designed to be more durable and resistant to damage compared to a regular button. It has a more complex design and uses materials that make it difficult to tamper with. It also has a longer lifespan and is more suitable for outdoor use.

5. What are some common applications for an anti vandal led button MOFSET?

An anti vandal led button MOFSET is commonly used in a variety of applications, such as control panels, security systems, and public transportation. It is also used in industrial settings, such as machinery and equipment, and in outdoor environments, such as parks and public restrooms.