Anticommutation relations Fermion creation and annihilation

In summary: This is because ##a^{\dagger} = (a_{i}^{\dagger})^{n}(a_{j}^{\dagger})^{m}\dots (a_{r}^{\dagger})^{k}(a_{s}^{\dagger})^{l}##, and the last term in the summation is just the product of the first terms, which are all zero because of the anticommutation relation.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

This problem is from Lahiri and Pal (2nd edition) Exercise 1.4:

Suppose in a system there are operators which obey anticommutation relations

##[a_{r},a^{\dagger}_{s}]_{+}\equiv a_{r}a^{\dagger}_{s}+a^{\dagger}_{s}a_{r}=\delta_{rs}##

and

##[a_{r},a_{s}]_{+}=0,## for ##r,s=1, \dots, N.##

Construct the generic normalised excited state.

Show that no state can have two or more quanta of the same species.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The state ##\lvert 0 \rangle## is defined by ##a_{r}\lvert 0 \rangle = 0.##

For the Hamiltonian, ##H = \sum^{N}_{i=1}\hbar \omega (a^{\dagger}_{i}a_{i}+a_{i}a^{\dagger}_{i}) = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\hbar \omega = N \hbar \omega##.

I used the Hamiltonian for the SHO even though the problem did not ask for it, because the section the exercise belongs to is about SHO creation and annihilation operators.

Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The problem is only about creating the general excited state, there is no need to involve a Hamiltonian.

Assuming that the ground state is ##\lvert 0 \rangle##, do I not have to know if the first excited state of the ##r-##mode is obtained by acting ##a_{r}## or ##a_{s}^{\dagger}## on the ground state?

And to know that, do I not have to find out the Hamiltonian of the system and then act the Hamiltonian on ##a_{r}\lvert 0 \rangle## and ##a_{r}^{\dagger}\lvert 0 \rangle##?

No. You assume that annihilation operators destroy the vacuum. Otherwise you can just switch their names.

Altight.

So, then, is the role of the Hamiltonian only to find out the energy levels of the system?

Also, is ##a_{r}\lvert - \rangle = 0## for some given ##r##, or ##a_{1}a_{2}\dots\ a_{N}\lvert - \rangle = 0##?

All annihilation operators destroy the vacuum.

Ok, so, I take it that the role of the Hamiltonian only to find out the energy levels of the system.

And also that ##a_{r}\lvert - \rangle = 0## for any given ##r##, not just ##a_{1}a_{2}\dots\ a_{N}\lvert - \rangle = 0##.
Is the unnormalised ##n-##th excited state for a given mode defined by

##\lvert n \rangle = (a^{\dagger})^{n}\lvert 0 \rangle##.

In this case, ##\langle 0 \lvert (a)^{3}(a^{\dagger})^{3} \lvert 0 \rangle = \langle 0 \lvert (a)^{2}(a^{\dagger})^{2} \lvert 0 \rangle = 0##,

using the anticoummutation relation ##[a,a^{\dagger}]_{+}=1##, so it does not look like my postulated ##n-##th excited state is not correct.

Start with one single creation-annihilation pair. How many states does the space contain?

Also, you are not asked to order the states.

Orodruin said:
Start with one single creation-annihilation pair.

Do you mean I need to calculate ##\langle 0 \lvert a a^{\dagger} \lvert 0 \rangle = \langle 0 \lvert (1-a^{\dagger}a) \lvert 0 \rangle = \langle 0 \lvert 0 \rangle##?

Orodruin said:
How many states does the space contain?

I'm not sure how to find that out.

failexam said:
Do you mean I need to calculate ##\langle 0 \lvert a a^{\dagger} \lvert 0 \rangle = \langle 0 \lvert (1-a^{\dagger}a) \lvert 0 \rangle = \langle 0 \lvert 0 \rangle##?
I'm not sure how to find that out.
You start applying creation operators until you cannot apply any more without getting zero.

Try to make a state with two or more identical quanta.

Orodruin said:
You start applying creation operators until you cannot apply any more without getting zero.

I need to see a few steps of calculation before I understand what you mean.

failexam said:
I need to see a few steps of calculation before I understand what you mean.
There is only one step of computation...

I give up.

What is the norm of ##(a^\dagger)^2|0\rangle##?

Orodruin said:
What is the norm of ##(a^\dagger)^2|0\rangle##?

Ah! I see!

##|(a^\dagger)^2|0\rangle | = \langle 0 | a (a a^\dagger) a^\dagger | 0 \rangle = \langle 0 | a (1 - a^\dagger a) a^\dagger | 0 \rangle = \langle 0 | a a^\dagger | 0 \rangle - \langle 0 | a a^\dagger (a a^\dagger) | 0 \rangle) = \langle 0 | a a^\dagger | 0 \rangle - \langle 0 | a a^\dagger (1 - a^\dagger a) | 0 \rangle) = \langle 0 | a a^\dagger | 0 \rangle - \langle 0 | a a^\dagger | 0 \rangle + \langle 0 | a a^\dagger a^\dagger a | 0 \rangle) = 0##.

Hmm ... I get the idea.

A similar calculation for the norm of ##(a^\dagger)^3|0\rangle## shows that it is 0.

Although a formal proof will use proof by induction, my intuition tells me all the higher order norms are zero as well.

Therefore, the state cannot have two or more quanta.

Let me try and write up the solution now.

(a) The generic normalised excited state is ##a_{i}^{\dagger}a_{j}^{\dagger}\dots a_{r}^{\dagger}a_{s}^{\dagger}\lvert 0 \rangle,## where only the species from ##i## to ##s## are in the excited state. This is under the assumption that the ground state ##\lvert 0 \rangle## is already normalised, i.e. ##\langle 0 \lvert 0 \rangle = 1.##

(b) Take the ##i##-th species. The argument can be retraced for all the other species because the creation or annihilation operator for one species commutes with the creation or annihilation operator for another species.

Consider the state with the ##n-##th excitation of the ##i##-th species, and ignore the excitations of all the other species (because of the commutation rule in the last sentence).

Write ##(a_{i}^{\dagger})^{n}(a_{j}^{\dagger})^{m}\dots (a_{r}^{\dagger})^{k}(a_{s}^{\dagger})^{l}\lvert 0 \rangle## as ##(a^{\dagger})^{n}\lvert 0 \rangle## to simplify the notation in the following calculation.

Now, ##|(a^\dagger)^n|0\rangle| = \langle 0 | (a)^{n-1} (a a^\dagger) (a^\dagger)^{n-1} | 0 \rangle = \langle 0 | (a)^{n-1} (1 - a^\dagger a) (a^\dagger)^{n-1} | 0 \rangle = \langle 0 | (a)^{n-1} (a^\dagger)^{n-1} | 0 \rangle - \langle 0 | (a)^{n-1} a^\dagger a (a^\dagger)^{n-1}) | 0 \rangle).##

Therefore, the anticommutation relation allows us to switch the ##a## operator with the ##a^{\dagger}## operator. In this way, the ##a## operator shifts all the way to the right and annihilates the ##\lvert 0 \rangle## state. In the process, we obtain ##n## terms of the form ##\langle 0 | (a)^{n-1} (a^\dagger)^{n-1} | 0 \rangle## in an alternating ##+\ -\ +\ -\ \dots ## series.

Now, when ##n=1##, the norm is ##\langle 0 | 0 \rangle## = 1.

When ##n=2##, the norm is 0 by cancellation of the two identical terms with each other.

When ##n=3##, the norm is 0 because the first two terms are identical and cancel with each other and the third term is zero because the norm for ##n=2## is zero.

By induction, the norm for ##n>1## is zero.

N.B. The inductive step is necessary because the proof for odd values of ##n## greater than 1 (e.g. ##n=3##) requires the use of the norm for the corresponding smaller even value of ##n## (e.g. ##n=2##). For even values of ##n##, cancellation alone shows that the norm if zero, but for odd values of ##n## greater than 1, cancellation of the identical terms leaves remianing one positive term which has to be zero because it is the norm for the smaller even value of ##n##.Are my solutions correct?

@failexam
Change your nick. Do yourself a favour !
aa=[a,a]+ /2 = 0 .

my2cts said:
@failexam
Change your nick. Do yourself a favour !

Why should I change my nick?

my2cts said:
aa=[a,a]+ /2 = 0 .

What does this mean?

1. What are anticommutation relations in relation to Fermion creation and annihilation?

Anticommutation relations refer to a set of mathematical rules governing the behavior of operators that create and annihilate Fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. These operators satisfy a specific anticommutation property, in which the order of the operators is reversed when they are multiplied together.

2. How do Fermion creation and annihilation operators relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two Fermions can occupy the same quantum state. Fermion creation and annihilation operators allow us to mathematically represent the creation and annihilation of these particles, while also ensuring that the principle is satisfied.

3. What is the significance of the anticommutation relations in quantum mechanics?

The anticommutation relations are fundamental to the formulation of quantum mechanics. They allow us to properly describe the behavior of Fermions and their interactions, and are essential in the development of many important concepts and theories, such as the Dirac equation and the theory of superconductivity.

4. How are anticommutation relations used in practical applications?

Anticommutation relations are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of many-body systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies, such as spintronics and topological insulators.

5. Are there any other types of particles that obey anticommutation relations?

No, anticommutation relations are specific to Fermions. Other types of particles, such as Bosons with integer spin, obey different mathematical rules known as commutation relations. These different behaviors are a result of the fundamental differences in the statistical properties of these particles.