Any articles on ICF fuel pellet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of making fuel pellets for the ablation process in ICF, specifically in regards to the use of carbon. The question is posed if there are any articles that provide a detailed analysis of ICF fuel, and a suggestion is made to check the LLNL website for technical resources. The conversation also mentions difficulty in finding free resources due to blocked websites. A helpful page at LLNL's website is shared, found through a Google search on the word "hohlraum".
Kidphysics
A graduate student I know swears that there is some form of carbon and that it is very expensive to make the fuel pellets, especially to make them smooth for the ablation process. I have read they are extremely cheap but I may be thinking of just the DT fuel and not the pellet. Either way, hohlraum or not is there an article that takes an in depth look at the ICF fuel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kidphysics said:
A graduate student I know swears that there is some form of carbon and that it is very expensive to make the fuel pellets, especially to make them smooth for the ablation process. I have read they are extremely cheap but I may be thinking of just the DT fuel and not the pellet. Either way, hohlraum or not is there an article that takes an in depth look at the ICF fuel?

Have you looked through the LLNL website to see what they have for technical information resources for ICF?

I was just wondering if anyone knew any particularly good free ones. I have done a search for icf fuel pellets and am blocked by some websites etc

Kidphysics said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew any particularly good free ones. I have done a search for icf fuel pellets and am blocked by some websites etc

This page at LLNL's website looks to be helpful:

https://lasers.llnl.gov/programs/nic/target_fabrication.php

BTW, I got to that page with a Google search on the word you used "hohlraum". :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

There are many articles available on ICF fuel pellets, as well as the overall process of inertial confinement fusion (ICF). These articles discuss the different materials used for fuel pellets, including carbon, and the cost associated with producing them. It is true that carbon is a common material used in ICF fuel pellets, and it can be expensive to produce them with the necessary smoothness for the ablation process.

One article that takes an in-depth look at ICF fuel is "Inertial Confinement Fusion: Fuel and Target Considerations" by J. Lindl. This article discusses the various materials used for ICF fuel, including their advantages and disadvantages. It also delves into the production process for fuel pellets and the challenges associated with creating them with the necessary smoothness.

Another article, "The Physics of Inertial Fusion: Beam-Target Interaction, Hydrodynamics, Hot Dense Matter" by S. Atzeni and J. Meyer-ter-Vehn, provides a comprehensive overview of the physics behind ICF, including the fuel pellet and target design. This article also discusses the different materials used for fuel pellets and their properties.

In summary, there are many articles available that discuss the use of carbon and other materials in ICF fuel pellets, as well as the cost and production challenges associated with them. I would recommend researching and reading multiple articles to gain a comprehensive understanding of the topic.

1. What is an ICF fuel pellet?

An ICF (inertial confinement fusion) fuel pellet is a small spherical capsule containing a mixture of hydrogen isotopes, usually deuterium and tritium. This fuel pellet is an important component in the process of achieving nuclear fusion reactions in a controlled environment.

2. How is an ICF fuel pellet made?

An ICF fuel pellet is typically made by first freezing a droplet of deuterium and tritium in a cryogenic environment, and then coating it with a layer of plastic or metal. This process creates a solid, uniform pellet with a diameter of only a few millimeters.

3. What is the purpose of an ICF fuel pellet?

The main purpose of an ICF fuel pellet is to provide the necessary fuel for nuclear fusion reactions to occur. When compressed and heated to extreme temperatures, the fuel pellet releases its energy in the form of fusion reactions, producing high amounts of energy.

4. How is an ICF fuel pellet used in fusion experiments?

In fusion experiments, an ICF fuel pellet is placed inside a target chamber and subjected to intense laser or particle beams, which compress and heat the pellet. This causes the fuel to undergo fusion reactions, releasing large amounts of energy that can be harnessed for various applications.

5. What are the main challenges in using ICF fuel pellets for fusion reactions?

Some of the main challenges in using ICF fuel pellets for fusion reactions include achieving high enough pressures and temperatures, maintaining the stability of the pellet during compression, and preventing the loss of energy due to instabilities or impurities in the fuel. Research is ongoing to overcome these challenges and make ICF fuel pellets a viable source of fusion energy.