Any beginning computer programming course (such as for JAVA.

In summary: With respect tot IDEs, I don't think the school would force the issue rather they might recommend one for the class.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Not necessarily for JAVA, but in any beginning computer programming course at a college or university:

What will the school, or department, or the teacher require of the students?
Need the student use their own personal computer for this?
Can student do the work using JAVA without having an IDE installed?
Must the student choose an IDE of his own choosing?
Must the student use the IDE that he is told he must use?
What would be the typical prerequisties for a beginning programming course (in JAVA, or C, or Python)?
Exactly what would the student "turn-in" for assignments? Stuff on paper? Documents in software form to show code and output results?

Technology news on Phys.org
With respect tot IDEs, I don't think the school would force the issue rather they might recommend one for the class.

I've seen some schools use BlueJ as the IDE and others use Processing as the IDE. I guess the view is that the IDE isancillary to the course and while extremely useful to those who know how to use them may be a barrier to learning for some students.

Prerequisites would probably be Algebra and if graphics is involved then Geometry and Trigonometry.

In a computational physics course I took a few years ago, we wrote Java code using Eclipse and taught the Prof how to use it. IT was the year the primary book switch from BASIC to Java for their programming examples. We submitted our homework via email as word documents complete with screenshots of charts generated by our implementations and we submitted a zip of our Eclipse workspace project. I don't think the prof ever did anything with our zipped workspaces as he was pretty challenged by Java and the IDE. I know he did read our reports though and commented about the physics we implemented.

All in all, it was a great class where I could use my strength in programming to learn how to do realistic physics simulations. We used the book by Gould, Tobochnik and Christian:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZMC2N0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm just finishing teaching a college-level course in programming (in C++).
symbolipoint said:
What will the school, or department, or the teacher require of the students?
Need the student use their own personal computer for this?
Usually not, in my experience. Many schools have computers in the classroom or in labs with the requisite software already installed.
symbolipoint said:
Can student do the work using JAVA without having an IDE installed?
It's possible -- I did some Java programming about 20 years ago before there was much of any infrastructure created in the form of IDEs. A student taking a course now using Java would have access to a computer with Net Beans or some other IDE already installed.
symbolipoint said:
Must the student choose an IDE of his own choosing?
I don't believe so.
symbolipoint said:
Must the student use the IDE that he is told he must use?
I suppose it would depend on the instructor, but I think in most cases, the instructor wouldn't care what IDE you used. I don't teach Java, though, so I can't really speak for all instructors.
symbolipoint said:
What would be the typical prerequisties for a beginning programming course (in JAVA, or C, or Python)?
In the college I'm working at right now, there is a prerequisite class for the C++ class . The prereq class goes over the basic control structures (if, while, for) to give students a better shot at success in the "real" programming course.
symbolipoint said:
Exactly what would the student "turn-in" for assignments? Stuff on paper? Documents in software form to show code and output results?
In my class, students are required to turn in a hard copy (on paper) program listing, and also a zip file containing the program source code and executable. In other similar classes I've taught I have required them to turn in printed copy of the program output, as well as some documentation of what they did to test their code. What students are required to turn in varies from instructor to instructor.

1. What is computer programming?

Computer programming is the process of creating instructions or code that tells a computer what to do. It involves writing, testing, and maintaining code to create software, applications, and websites.

2. Why should I learn JAVA for a beginning computer programming course?

JAVA is a widely used and versatile programming language that is used to create a variety of applications and software. It is also a good language for beginners to learn as it has a simple syntax and is heavily supported with resources and community.

3. What are the basic concepts I should know before taking a beginning computer programming course?

Some basic concepts to know before taking a beginning computer programming course include understanding algorithms, data types, control structures, and data structures. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of how computers and programming languages work.

4. Will I be able to create my own programs after completing a beginning computer programming course?

Yes, with the knowledge and skills gained from a beginning computer programming course, you will be able to create your own basic programs. However, it takes continued practice and learning to become proficient in any programming language.

5. What are some resources or tools that can help me in a beginning computer programming course?

There are many resources and tools available to help you learn and practice computer programming. Some popular ones include online tutorials, coding challenges, IDEs (integrated development environments), and textbooks. It is also helpful to join online communities and forums to connect with other programmers and ask for help when needed.