Any books that just have blueprints of buildings, ships, etc?

• Thread starter DartomicTech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Ships
In summary, a memory champion uses blueprints to study and memorize information. They use them to help them visualize and remember the information.
MidgetDwarf said:
I am a bit skeptical about this. I see its use in trivia, even gambling, or just getting past a course in college you don't really need the information for/ or spread yourself too thin with other courses. But does it actually offer any type of understanding on what you are memorizing? Ie., I am a bit skeptical when applying this method to the study of mathematics...
So it doesn't actually offer any understanding on its own for math. You have to work on problems still, sometimes. But using it, along with performing repetitions of retrieval of the information before the forgetting curve decays too far, and along with working actual problems, speeds up the process of learning math. It speeds it up because less repetitions are required to be performed, allowing one to learn new information, instead of performing another repetition of something already learned. I wrote a program that schedules repetitions. This is how I keep track of doing those. Here is the link: GlideCLI

Memorization like this, such as using the Roman Room method, spaces the repetitions needed to be performed in order to keep it in memory, much further apart. Understanding does come faster too. The brain is having to form a lot more connections to link the information together in memory. The structures that are built, which form the memory in the brain have more pathways and branches. The brain kind of forms an understanding out of these structures that are formed , after they're strengthened enough. I don't normally need to actually go through the maps mentally in order to use the information I've learned in this way, as long as the forgetting curve hasn't decayed too far.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dragon27 said:
It's a different question if the memorization is worth all the time and effort you spend on it (given that you eventually memorize whatever you need to know in the process of acquiring the subject anyway)

That's actually not true for me, if I'm not really interested in what I am trying to learn. Its why I learned how to do all of these things. I just start day dreaming about stuff without out ever realizing it, even if I'm still reading, and I'll go through pages until I realize that I was just daydreaming for a long time, without even really remembering what I was day dreaming about a lot of the time. But doing this forces me to concentrate my imagination in a way that allows me to have fun, learning stuff that would not normally be fun to try studying if I didn't do it like this.

The fun part about math for me, is doing the problems by using the concepts I learned. The boring part about it for me, is performing repetitions of retrieving information that I read, in order to keep a concept in memory. Some of the concepts are just boring to me too. But this turns learning anything I want into a lot of fun. A lot of people seem to think its a lot of work. It really doesn't feel like it for me, and I do it nearly instantly. But it may be due to the fact that I daydream more than I pay attention, unless I'm having fun, no matter how hard I used to try. It was quite frustrating, before I learned these practices. But this is just like daydreaming for me, except that it's guided by training. Just like some people have a slower typing speed than others, because they don't type all the time. But the people who type fast do type all the time, and they don't even have to think about what their fingers are doing. Its like that. I use my imagination all the time, even when I don't want to. It's more like it forces me to watch it, almost like my eyelids will close against my will at some point, but I can agree to keep them closed for as long as I want.

Plus I used to deliver pizzas before consumer GPS was reliable enough to use instead of maps. I got really good at learning all the routes around town on the map, so I imagine that skill also transitioned well into doing this quickly too.

Last edited:
I stopped looking for books that have blueprints. I just use a random map generator program with an addon that increases the detail, for the computer game called doom. I just push a button that produces 32 maps a file. I take a picture of the map, and use it the same way I would a blueprint.

Likes Klystron and russ_watters
Anyway; I shouldn't have to be bombarded with people saying the way I study makes no sense, its not a good way to do it, I won't understand anything from doing it, they don't see the value in doing it like that for long term retention, I'm doing it the wrong way. I was even trying to be nice enough to explain things as thoroughly as possible, short of me writing a book... I just asked if anyone knew of some books that have the kind of blueprints I have a use for. I shared information I was asked about, hoping that someone would share information back with me, because that seems to be how it works. I don't know. A few people understood that.

If you people are REALLY as curious as you act like, then get a degree in neuroscience, and really dig down deep for the answers you are looking for, to understand the innerworkings of the brain. You are not going to get satisfying answers in a forum chat. There are books, and journal articles, that can be found to study this stuff. Those aren't satisfying enough to me, personally. The program I wrote that calculates the forgetting curve, and calculates the spacing of repetitions, uses calculations from a neuroscience study on forgetting, and one calculation of a formula that I personally applied because it fit the data better. The paper left me with a lot of questions that have answers, but are nowhere to be found yet, and probably not even discovered yet.

I'm just another person that used the internet in search of a resource for me to do something fun. I'm clearly not a famous person that made an "Ask me anything" forum chat, like some famous inventors and authors do on reddit for their fans. I have no fans. I never want to be famous.

I do want to thank the majority of you though, I want to thank you even more than the people who were trying to be helpful. You made me realize how stupid of a decision it would be for me to take a math tutoring job after the pandemic. I do not want to keep explaining concepts every way I can think of, to people who do not actually have an interest in understanding them. I do not understand what motive lies behind the behavior of people doing this, except maybe these people get satisfaction in tricking other people into trying to solve a problem for a situation that does not really exist. The trick is to present a situation, which at first appears to be that information is not understood due to the way that it is available, making it seem as though it is incompatible with the framework of their perceptions. They get people to work on solving the problem of reorganizing the information, and delivering it in all these new packages, down to the point at which it should be clear to a monkey as to what information is being conveyed. Well you tricked me. Jokes on me. I was playing another dumb game that people play, called "Who's more dumb, me or you!" Well I didn't know I was playing, so you win. It's not the first time people played that game with me. Thanks for reminding me how much I do not want to deal with other people. Having to do this as a job would be horrible.

Likes russ_watters
Meanwhile, I stalk the halls of my virtual Memory Palace, searching for the room where I left my lab coat.

Likes Klystron
DartomicTech said:
Anyway; I shouldn't have to be bombarded with people saying the way I study makes no sense, its not a good way to do it, I won't understand anything from doing it, they don't see the value in doing it like that for long term retention, I'm doing it the wrong way.
I don't think anyone meant anything negative.

A fascination with something unusual is to be expected. (My female friend is 6'6". When she went to China, she was virtually swarmed by locals sneaking pictures with her.)

I'd hazard that wonderment was more the order of the day than criticism - even if clumsily expressed.

Likes Klystron and hmmm27