Any Cauchy sequence converges.

In summary: This is quite hard to read. You'll get much better response if you take the trouble to make it legible, e.g. by writing it out in latex.In summary, my instructor stated that because we know that an0-ε<an<an0+ε, we can say that an0-ε ≤ A ≤ A-- ≤ an0+ε. This means that all the subsequential limits of the sequence are within a certain area that is bounded by an0-ε and an0+ε. This inequality is valid because the sequence is bounded.
peripatein
Hello,

My instructor, whilst trying to prove that liminf of sequence a_n = limsup of sequence a_n = A,
_
wrote that since we know that a_n0-ε<an<a_n0+ε → a_n0-ε ≤ A ≤ A ≤ a_n0+ε.
Why is that true? I mean, how do we know that if a sequence is bounded then its lim inf (i.e. the lowest amongst the limits of its subsequences) and lim sup (the highest amongst the limits of its subsequences; do forgive me for potential misnomers) are indeed within that area bounded by a_n0-ε and a_n0+ε?
I hope you may assit in clarifying this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The inequality did not come out right. The second A (following a_n0-epsilon <= A_) should be upper A (or, if I understand it aright, lim sup.

peripatein said:
Hello,

My instructor, whilst trying to prove that liminf of sequence a_n = limsup of sequence a_n = A,
_
wrote that since we know that a_n0-ε<an<a_n0+ε → a_n0-ε ≤ A ≤ A ≤ a_n0+ε.
Why is that true? I mean, how do we know that if a sequence is bounded then its lim inf (i.e. the lowest amongst the limits of its subsequences) and lim sup (the highest amongst the limits of its subsequences; do forgive me for potential misnomers) are indeed within that area bounded by a_n0-ε and a_n0+ε?
This is quite hard to read. You'll get much better response if you take the trouble to make it legible, e.g. by writing it out in latex.

Hello,

My instructor, whilst trying to prove that liminf of sequence an = limsup of sequence an = A, stated that since we know that an0-ε<an<an0+ε [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] an0-ε ≤ A ≤ A-- ≤ an0+ε.

Why is that true? I mean, how do we know that if a sequence is bounded then its lim inf (i.e. the lowest amongst the limits of its subsequences) and lim sup (the highest amongst the limits of its subsequences; do forgive me for potential misnomers) are indeed within that neighbourhood bounded by an0-ε and an0+ε?

Following haruspex's advice, the content is now far more legible. May someone please help calrifying this issue? Why is that inequality valid given that the sequence is bounded?

What are your definitions for "limsup" and "liminf" of a sequence?

I have explained that above, in parenthesis.

Thanks. For some reason I didn't notice that before. So if limsup= liminf= A, you know that all subsequential limits are less than or equal to A and larger than or equal to A. Well, a subsequential limit cannot be both "less than A" and "larger than A" can it? So this means that all subsequential limits are equal to A which means that the sequence itself converges to A.

Related to Any Cauchy sequence converges.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This means that for any positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance from each other.

2. What does it mean for a Cauchy sequence to converge?

Convergence in a Cauchy sequence means that the sequence has a limit, which is a number that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to as the sequence progresses. In other words, as the terms of the sequence get closer to each other, they also get closer to the limit.

3. How can you tell if a Cauchy sequence converges?

A Cauchy sequence converges if and only if it is a convergent sequence. This means that the terms of the sequence approach a finite limit as the sequence progresses. In other words, the sequence gets closer and closer to a specific number as more terms are added.

4. What is the significance of a Cauchy sequence converging?

A Cauchy sequence converging is significant because it shows that the sequence is well-behaved and the terms are getting closer and closer to a specific number. This is important in mathematical analysis and real analysis, as it allows for the study of limits and continuity.

5. Can a Cauchy sequence converge to a number outside of the sequence?

No, a Cauchy sequence can only converge to a number that is within the sequence itself. This is because the terms of the sequence are getting closer and closer to each other, and if the sequence were to converge to a number outside of the sequence, it would contradict the definition of a Cauchy sequence.