Any good idea how non-abelian gauge symmetries emerge?

In summary, the origin of abelian gauge symmetry in the context of massless spin 1 particles is straightforward. However, this perspective only applies to familiar U(1) symmetry and there is currently no similar explanation for non-abelian gauge symmetries. Non-abelian gauge symmetries also help explain the particle spectrum and cannot be seen as a coincidence. Some attempts have been made to explain the origin of non-abelian gauge symmetries, but there is still no clear understanding. If you have any references or ideas on how this could be explained, please share. The current understanding is that the gauge theory does not necessarily have to be abelian, but it does require some of the states to be unphysical in
jakob1111
Gold Member
I think the story where abelian, i.e. U(1), gauge symmetry comes from is pretty straight-forward:

We describe massless spin 1 particles, which have only two physical degrees of freedom, with a spin 1 field, which is represented by a four-vector. This four-vector has 4 entries and therefore too many degrees of freedom. A description of a spin 1 particle in terms of a four-vector field is necessarily redundant and we call this redundancy "gauge symmetry". Formulated differently: particles are representations of the little groups of the Poincare group, whereas fields are representations of the complete Poincare group. This is what leads to the gauge redundancy. However, as far as I know this story only works for the familiar U(1) symmetry.

(This point of view is emphasized, for example, in Weinbergs QFT book Vol. 1 section 5.9. Someone who currently likes to emphasize this perspective is Arkani-Hamed, for example, in section 2 of his latest paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.04891 or here https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.02797. I actually asked him a month ago if he knows any idea for an analogous explanation for non-abelian gauge redundancies, but unfortunately he didn't had a good answer.)

Is there any good idea where non-abelian gauge symmetries come from? The big difference, I think, is that non-abelian gauge symmetries also in some sense help us to explain the particle spectrum. For example, we have doublets and triplets of elementary particles and this is a real physical consequence and can not be regarded as an accident, because we use the "wrong" objects to describe elementary particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned Yang-Mills theory from a course taught by Xi Yin, whose lecture notes can be found http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~xiyin/Site/Notes_files/253b_Lectures.pdf. Beginning on page 23, he derives both U(1) and non-abelian gauge theory from some "soft theorem"-like calculations. The conceptual idea behind the proof for non-abelian gauge theory is very similar to the U(1) case, he simply asks what possibilities exist for a theory with multiple massless vector bosons, and finds the constraint that they must live in a compact Lie group.

Likes fresh_42 and jakob1111
jakob1111 said:
However, as far as I know this story only works for the familiar U(1) symmetry.

Why?

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Why?

Simply because I've never seen a similar story for the origin of non-abelian gauge symmetries :D

If you know any reference where this is explained or have an idea how the story could go for non-abelian gauge symmetries, please let me know!

I mean nothing in this tells you that your gauge theory should be abelian, or am I missing something? You just know that some of the "apparent" states of the theory have to be unphysical, as they are in gauge theories, if you want a massless spin 1 field.

1. What is a non-abelian gauge symmetry in physics?

A non-abelian gauge symmetry is a type of mathematical symmetry that describes the interaction between particles in a physical system. It is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory, and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. How do non-abelian gauge symmetries emerge?

Non-abelian gauge symmetries emerge when a physical system exhibits invariance under a set of transformations that involve both space and time. This means that the laws governing the system remain unchanged even when these transformations are applied. In other words, the system exhibits the same behavior regardless of how it is rotated or shifted in space and time.

3. What are some examples of non-abelian gauge symmetries?

Some examples of non-abelian gauge symmetries include the strong and weak nuclear forces, which are described by the SU(3) and SU(2) gauge groups, respectively. Another example is the electromagnetic force, which is described by the U(1) gauge group. These symmetries are essential for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions at the subatomic level.

4. How are non-abelian gauge symmetries different from abelian gauge symmetries?

The main difference between non-abelian and abelian gauge symmetries lies in the way they transform under certain operations. Non-abelian gauge symmetries exhibit more complex transformations and have a larger number of degrees of freedom compared to abelian gauge symmetries. This makes them more suitable for describing the strong and weak nuclear forces, which have a more intricate structure compared to the electromagnetic force.

5. Can non-abelian gauge symmetries be unified?

There have been attempts to unify the different non-abelian gauge symmetries into a single grand unified theory. However, this remains a topic of ongoing research and has not yet been successfully achieved. Such a theory would provide a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe and their interactions.