Any good references on DNA profiling statistic methods?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of DNA profiling in law enforcement and the potential biases and errors that may arise from the process. The main concern is the use of race as a factor in determining probabilities, which is seen as arbitrary and potentially problematic. There is also a discussion about the impact of cumulative errors in the physical processes involved in DNA profiling. The person is looking for comprehensive resources that explain the mathematical aspects of DNA profiling and its practical application.
indio007
I'm looking for papers or other references on DNA profiling statistics. Something comprehensive that covers the whole shebang.

I kind of troubled by some of the match probabilities being linked to "race" i.e. Caucasian.
I'm not even sure what Caucasian even means scientifically.
What happens when you combine a subjective measure to what is supposedly a random set?

Is the result still random?

It seems like the entire process of DNA profiling has probabilities involved then those proceeding probabilities (errors etc) are discarded when making the final judgment of say one in a million people will match some reference sample.

This final judgment is based on FBI tables which are subdivided into race.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok ... kind of disturbing that no on can answer this.

How bout this.
Does anyone have an opinion on the mathematical rigor of DNA profiling?

Why don't you give people some more time, it is just 2 days old.

indio007 said:
I'm looking for papers or other references on DNA profiling statistics. Something comprehensive that covers the whole shebang.

I kind of troubled by some of the match probabilities being linked to "race" i.e. Caucasian.
I'm not even sure what Caucasian even means scientifically.
What happens when you combine a subjective measure to what is supposedly a random set?

Is the result still random?

It seems like the entire process of DNA profiling has probabilities involved then those proceeding probabilities (errors etc) are discarded when making the final judgment of say one in a million people will match some reference sample.

This final judgment is based on FBI tables which are subdivided into race.

Are you referring or looking for fallacies and biases in profiling? Then there is the fallacy of using DNA matching without considering the context: the match should be considered only from people who are considered suspect.

I don't want to get into a specific instance.
I will spell out the issue.
Here's a statement from a DNA report

The probability of randomly selecting an unrelated individual
that could have contributed to this mixture is 1 person in 1
billion in the Caucasian and Southwestern Hispanic populations
and 1 person in 2 billion in the African American and
Southeastern Hispanic populations
These conclusions are based on population statistics derived from
a database of unrelated Caucasian, African American, Southeastern
Hispanic and Southwestern Hispanic populations obtained from the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

The problem is Caucasian, African American, Southeastern
Hispanic and Southwestern Hispanic are arbitrary. They are social constructs i.e. there is no "race" test they can give.

What is the effect of an arbitrary choice on the statistics.
Say they wanted to profile pizza lovers. Now there is no correlation between pizza and DNA (i think :D)
However you can still generate a table and probabilities out of this arbitrary choice and start convicting people by saying in a DNA report

billion in the pizza lover population.

These conclusions are based on food preference derived from
a database of unrelated food eaters from the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

A couple of take-out slips in evidence of suspect ordering pizza and your golden.

The bottom line is what effect does arbitrary choice have on the presumption of randomness. It reminds of of post-selection in QP in a way.

Also what does CUMULATIVE error rates in the physical processes i.e. PCR, mixed samples, electrophoresis, analyzer sensitivities to dye fluorescence do to the final probability?

All I can really find are things from law enforcement and gov't.
I just want like maybe a primer that joins the math to the process of actually doing it.

It seems to me there are a lot of assumptions and.

indio007 said:
I don't want to get into a specific instance.
I will spell out the issue.
Here's a statement from a DNA report

billion in the Caucasian and Southwestern Hispanic populations
and 1 person in 2 billion in the African American and
Southeastern Hispanic populations
These conclusions are based on population statistics derived from
a database of unrelated Caucasian, African American, Southeastern
Hispanic and Southwestern Hispanic populations obtained from the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

The problem is Caucasian, African American, Southeastern
Hispanic and Southwestern Hispanic are arbitrary. They are social constructs i.e. there is no "race" test they can give.

Say they wanted to profile pizza lovers. Now there is no correlation between pizza and DNA (i think :D)
However you can still generate a table and probabilities out of this arbitrary choice and start convicting people by saying in a DNA report

billion in the pizza lover population.

These conclusions are based on food preference derived from
a database of unrelated food eaters from the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

A couple of take-out slips in evidence of suspect ordering pizza and your golden.

The bottom line is what effect does arbitrary choice have on the presumption of randomness. It reminds of of post-selection in QP in a way.

Also what does CUMULATIVE error rates in the physical processes i.e. PCR, mixed samples, electrophoresis, analyzer sensitivities to dye fluorescence do to the final probability?

All I can really find are things from law enforcement and gov't.
I just want like maybe a primer that joins the math to the process of actually doing it.

It seems to me there are a lot of assumptions and.
Sorry I can't think of anything other than searching for info in the FBI's database. Maybe they have obtained this data from studying separate 'populations' ( where by 'population' I refer to the construct used by the FBI ). As to accumulated errors, I would hope many samples are taken from the same person and a test is made for each
to avoid mistakes. I don't see how to say something more specific without knowing the details of how the samples are taken and the analysis is done, sorry.

indio007 said:
As long as the choice is consistent, this is no problem.
If (!) there is no correlation between DNA and love of pizza, you'll get the same number for both groups (within statistical uncertainties), therefore you cannot make any statement about pizza consumption just based on the DNA.

1. What is DNA profiling and why is it important?

DNA profiling, also known as DNA fingerprinting, is a technique used to identify and compare DNA samples from different individuals. It is important in forensic science, as it can be used to link suspects to crime scenes, establish paternity, and identify victims of disasters.

2. What statistical methods are used in DNA profiling?

Some commonly used statistical methods in DNA profiling include allele frequency calculations, likelihood ratio analysis, and Bayesian statistics. These methods are used to determine the likelihood of a DNA match and to assess the strength of the evidence.

3. Are there any specific references or resources for learning about DNA profiling statistical methods?

Yes, there are several resources available for learning about DNA profiling statistical methods. Some recommended references include "Population Genetics and DNA Fingerprinting" by I. W. Evett and B. S. Weir, "Forensic DNA Typing" by John M. Butler, and "Introduction to Forensic DNA Evidence for Criminal Justice Professionals" by Jane Moira Taupin.

4. How do statistical methods help in interpreting DNA profiling results?

Statistical methods are crucial in interpreting DNA profiling results because they allow for a quantitative analysis of the evidence. They help determine the probability of a match between DNA samples and provide a measure of the strength of the evidence. This helps in making informed decisions and conclusions about the DNA evidence.

5. Can DNA profiling statistical methods be used in other fields besides forensics?

Yes, DNA profiling statistical methods can be applied in other fields such as evolutionary biology, population genetics, and medical genetics. These methods are also used in animal and plant breeding, conservation genetics, and genetic genealogy. They play a significant role in identifying relationships between individuals and populations based on their DNA profiles.