Any other good sources on the Lamb shift other than Wikipedia?

In summary: In that case, people would be forced to guess what you are looking for.In summary, you are looking for a text, which:Is shorter than the Wikipedia article.Requires less background than the Wikipedia article.Is more complete than the Wikipedia article.
raracon
TL;DR Summary
Good sources not wiki
Title says it all :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems likely
1634383630731.png

• Love
Likes berkeman
phinds said:
Seems likely
View attachment 290771
Yea, I've been lookkng through lots. But can't find reliable ones. I tought maybe one of you guys would know one

I'd recommend Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1, Sec. 14 for a modern treatment.

Likes Dale
raracon said:
Summary:: Good sources not wiki

Title says it all :)
Actually, it doesn't.

What do you want that's not there? Otherwise it will turn into us guessing and you saying "no, that's not it".

Vanadium 50 said:
Actually, it doesn't.

What do you want that's not there? Otherwise it will turn into us guessing and you saying "no, that's not it".
Well I am searching for a source, where the Lamb shift is explained in a rather short manner (not going into too much detail).

Other than that I would like to have a better structure in my head, like having a good definition of the Lamb shift and what does it consist of (self energy etc.)

berkeman said:
@raracon don't like none of that. Especially the link to the Nobel lecture by Lamb...

View attachment 290803
Yeah, that is why I am searching for stuff not related to the Wikipedia article. :)

raracon said:
Well I am searching for a source, where the Lamb shift is explained in a rather short manner (not going into too much detail).
OK, now we're getting somewhere. You want something that is:
  1. Shorter than the Wikipedia article.
  2. Requires less background than the Wikipedia article.
  3. More complete than the Wikipedia article.
That gives people guidance, which is good. However, it is quite possible that no such text exists.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and vanhees71

1. What is the Lamb shift?

The Lamb shift is a small energy difference between two energy levels of the hydrogen atom. It was first observed by Willis Lamb and Robert Retherford in 1947 and is caused by the interaction between the electron and the vacuum fluctuations of the electromagnetic field.

2. Why is the Lamb shift important?

The Lamb shift is important because it provides evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations in the vacuum. It also helps to refine our understanding of quantum electrodynamics, the theory that describes the interactions between light and matter.

3. Where can I find additional sources on the Lamb shift?

In addition to Wikipedia, there are many other reputable sources that discuss the Lamb shift, such as scientific journals, textbooks, and online resources from universities and research institutions. Some examples include "The Quantum Theory of Light" by Rodney Loudon, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and articles from the American Physical Society's Physical Review journals.

4. How can I understand the Lamb shift better?

To better understand the Lamb shift, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics. Reading introductory textbooks and articles on these topics can provide a foundation for understanding the Lamb shift. Additionally, watching lectures or attending seminars by experts in the field can also deepen your understanding.

5. Has the Lamb shift been experimentally verified?

Yes, the Lamb shift has been experimentally verified through various experiments, including spectroscopy of hydrogen and other atoms, as well as measurements of the fine structure constant. These experiments have consistently confirmed the existence of the Lamb shift and its predicted value based on quantum electrodynamics.