Any quantum analog for Betrand's theorem?

In summary, the only central forces that result in closed orbits for all bound particles are the inverse square law and Hooke's law. These forces only exist in classical mechanics, and when looked at from a QM perspective, there's some link obviously as the Harmonic oscillator and the coulomb potential are the only exactly solvable models with infinite bound states. Well there are the step and barrier potentials, but these have a finite number of bound states. When looking at the paper, it is explained that the only way to get an infinite number of bound states is to use these potentials to raise or lower levels. However, the author mentions that one must factorize the coulomb potential Hamiltonian
kof9595995
Betrand theorem in classical mechanics states that only harmonic & -1/r potential will give closed and stable orbit.
Is there any quantum analog? Just curious, I don't even know what "closed orbit" means in QM.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose in both cases the existence of closed orbits is due to the two problems having some dynamical symmetry, SU(3) in case of the harmonic oscillator and SO(4) in case of the Coulomb (or Kepler) problem. This leads to an extra degeneracy in the quantum case. E.g. in the Coulomb problem, all orbitals with the same main quantum number n are degenerate and not only those with the same n and l, as would be the case for other central potentials. This allows you to form some hybrid orbitals (e.g. sp)which in the classical limit approximate closed elliptical orbits.

Emm...first thing first, what does it mean by "closed orbit" in QM?

a closed curve, e.g. a circle, an elliptic orbit, an eight...

DrDu said:
a closed curve, e.g. a circle, an elliptic orbit, an eight...

Don't those only make sense in classical mechanics?

I googled your problem and this is a paper which exactly confronts your problem. (link at end of post)

Bertrand's theorem: the only central forces that result in closed orbits for all bound particles are the inverse square law and Hooke’s law

When looked at from a QM perspective, there's some link obviously as the Harmonic oscillator and the coulomb potential are the only exactly solvable models with infinite bound states. Well there are the step and barrier potentials, but these have a finite number of bound states.

How is an infinite number of bound states somehow an analog to a classically stable orbit I do not understand. Anyone?

Also, the authors write:
These are the only central potentials for which the corresponding Schrodinger equations can be factorized to yield both the energy and angular momentum raising and lowering operators.

I understand that once this has been done, it is possible to get an infinite number of bound states by using these to raise or lower levels. But.. how does one factorize the coulomb potential Hamiltonian to get raising and lowering operators?

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9905011

Quite interesting paper, though I really don't want to go through all the math to verify the proof...
elduderino said:
How is an infinite number of bound states somehow an analog to a classically stable orbit I do not understand. Anyone?
I have the same question .

elduderino said:
I understand that once this has been done, it is possible to get an infinite number of bound states by using these to raise or lower levels. But.. how does one factorize the coulomb potential Hamiltonian to get raising and lowering operators?

As cited as [10] in your paper, http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezlibproxy1.ntu.edu.sg/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TVM-3SPKY3F-2B&_user=892051&_coverDate=06%2F30%2F1997&_alid=1583441234&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_zone=rslt_list_item&_cdi=5538&_sort=r&_st=13&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=1&_acct=C000047479&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=892051&md5=3dd24ec768c5b39a06eb2a07c2649a33&searchtype=a

Last edited by a moderator:
kof9595995 said:
Don't those only make sense in classical mechanics?

Of course it makes sense only in classical mechanics. I think the important point which makes possible an extension to qm is that the classical orbits have a definite direction (i.e. the large axis of the ellipsis, or the position of the perihelion). In general relativity, the orbits are no longer closed and the perihelion wanders, which constituted one of the first tests of general relativity. In qm the operator corresponding to the direction of the large axis still exists and is conserved only in the Kepler and harmonic oscillator problem as a consequence of the symmetries I mentioned below.

Emm... then what is this “the operator corresponding to the direction of the large axis” ?

In the Coulomb problem, it is the Runge Lenz vector.

Hmm, it makes sense, thanks

Related to Any quantum analog for Betrand's theorem?

1. What is Betrand's theorem?

Betrand's theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in any triangle, if a line is drawn parallel to one side, then the probability that a randomly chosen point inside the triangle will lie on that line is 1/2.

2. How is Betrand's theorem related to quantum mechanics?

Betrand's theorem has a quantum analog in the context of quantum mechanics called the "Quantum Betrand's Paradox". This paradox explores the relationship between measurements and probabilities in the quantum world.

3. Can you explain the Quantum Betrand's Paradox?

In the Quantum Betrand's Paradox, a quantum system is prepared in one of two possible states, and two different measurements are performed on the system. The paradox arises because the probability of obtaining a particular measurement result depends on the choice of measurement, even though the system is in the same state for both measurements.

4. What are the implications of the Quantum Betrand's Paradox?

The Quantum Betrand's Paradox highlights the fundamental differences between classical and quantum mechanics. It shows that in the quantum world, the outcome of a measurement is dependent on the measurement itself, and not just the properties of the system being measured.

5. How is the Quantum Betrand's Paradox resolved?

The Quantum Betrand's Paradox can be resolved by understanding the role of contextuality in quantum mechanics. This means that the outcome of a measurement is not only dependent on the properties of the system being measured, but also on the context of the measurement itself.