Any Recommendations for a Comprehensive Math Anthology with No Errors?

• Thread starter Montrealist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a technical book that covers the great breakthroughs of mathematics and serves as a good introduction to various fields. The book "God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History" by Stephen Hawking is suggested, but there are concerns about errors in the formulas based on reviews. The individual is a first year engineering physics student and is looking for a book that covers mathematical fields not included in their program. The book "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" is recommended as a suitable option.
Montrealist
Hello everyone.

I am looking for a technical book covering the great breakthroughs of mathematics that would also be a good introduction to a variety of fields. The perfect book seems to be 'God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History' by Stephen Hawking, but by reading the reviews on amazon it seems that book is full of typos and errors in the formulas. Are there any similar books that you could recommend?

I am presently a first year engineering physics student and would like to be introduced to mathematical fields not covered in my program.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics"?

Thank you micromass it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!

1. What is the "Anthology of Mathematics"?

The "Anthology of Mathematics" is a collection of mathematical texts, theories, and concepts compiled by mathematicians and historians. It aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the development of mathematics throughout history.

2. Who created the "Anthology of Mathematics"?

The "Anthology of Mathematics" was created by the European Mathematical Society in collaboration with mathematicians and historians from various countries. It is constantly updated and expanded by a team of editors and contributors.

3. What topics are covered in the "Anthology of Mathematics"?

The "Anthology of Mathematics" covers a wide range of mathematical topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and more. It also includes historical and cultural aspects of mathematics, as well as biographies of important mathematicians.

4. Is the "Anthology of Mathematics" accessible to non-mathematicians?

Yes, the "Anthology of Mathematics" is designed to be accessible to both mathematicians and non-mathematicians. It provides clear explanations and examples of mathematical concepts, making it a valuable resource for anyone interested in the subject.

5. How can I access the "Anthology of Mathematics"?

The "Anthology of Mathematics" is available online through the European Mathematical Society's website. It can also be accessed through university libraries and other academic institutions that have a subscription to the database.