Looking for Readings on Dark Matter

In summary: Dark Matter and the Cosmic Microwave Background"In summary, these three books are good starting points for anyone interested in learning more about dark matter.
Floyd_13
I am looking for introductions and reviews (papers or books) on the possible observation and the nature of dark matter. This book seems to be a good start, but I would be grateful for any other recommendations that are accessible to people with knowledge of physics at the undergraduate level. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Floyd_13 said:
I am looking for introductions and reviews (papers or books) on the possible observation and the nature of dark matter. This book seems to be a good start, but I would be grateful for any other recommendations that are accessible to people with knowledge of physics at the undergraduate level.

I, too, am interested in books on dark matter at the advanced undergraduate to graduate level, and I am interested in what folks might post in this thread.

Two books: 1) "An Introduction to Particle Dark Matter" by Stefano Profumo,
https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Particle-Advanced-Textbooks-Physics/dp/1786340011/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1594044503&refinements=p_27:Stefano+Profumo&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Stefano+Profumo&tag=pfamazon01-20

2) "Yet Another Introduction to Dark Matter" by Martin Bauer and Tilman Plehn,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T18RDMH/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another book, with which I am completely unfamiliar, is 3) "Dark Matter: An Introduction" by Debasish Majumdar,
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Matter-Introduction-Debasish-Majumdar/dp/1466572116/ref=sr_1_133?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=31&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=10&dchild=1&qid=1594012486&refinements=p_28:dark+matter&s=books&sr=1-133&unfiltered=1&tag=pfamazon01-20

The author of 1) coauthored
https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.05610

2) is based on
https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.01987

1) and 2) might be at slightly too high a level, although the preface of 1) states "The level and natural audience for this book is the same as it was for my lectures (2012): advanced undergraduate and graduate physics or astronomy students."

Also, there are many lectures on YouTube on dark matter, e.g., this 2017 advanced series by Neal Weiner,

"What We Know and Don't Know about Dark Matter"
"Histories and Models of Dark Matter"
"Signals of Dark Matter"

Likes andresB, vanhees71 and Bandersnatch

1. What is dark matter and why is it important in the study of the universe?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be seen directly. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. Its importance lies in the fact that it is responsible for the gravitational pull that holds galaxies together, and without it, the universe would not have formed in the way we see it today.

2. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists study dark matter through various methods such as observing its effects on visible matter, using gravitational lensing to detect its presence, and conducting experiments with particle accelerators to try and create and detect dark matter particles.

3. What are the current theories about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, but the most widely accepted one is the Cold Dark Matter (CDM) theory, which suggests that dark matter is made up of slow-moving, non-interacting particles. Other theories include Warm Dark Matter (WDM), which proposes that dark matter particles have a higher velocity, and Self-Interacting Dark Matter (SIDM), which suggests that dark matter particles can interact with each other.

4. Can dark matter be detected?

Dark matter cannot be detected directly, as it does not interact with light. However, its effects on visible matter can be observed, and scientists are constantly working on developing new techniques and technologies to try and detect dark matter particles.

5. What are some current research efforts and advancements in the study of dark matter?

Some current research efforts and advancements in the study of dark matter include using gravitational lensing to map the distribution of dark matter in the universe, conducting experiments with particle accelerators to try and create and detect dark matter particles, and developing new technologies such as the Dark Energy Survey and the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope to study dark matter and its effects on the universe.