Any standalone Matlab/scilab for iPod apps around?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter bonker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apps
In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to use Matlab on their iPhone without a permanent internet connection. They found a possible solution through a link, but it is not a complete solution. Another suggestion is to use Octave, but it requires jailbreaking the device and complicated steps to compile the program. The speaker is currently using Octave on a remote server through a jailbroken iPod touch, but without graphics.
bonker
Hello, I've been craving the ability to use Matlab on my iphone, but the main MAtlab app requires a permanent internet connection. I was thus looking for a stand alone matlab/scilab clone. I found some cryptic pointer to such a thing here: http://mobile.co.nz/?p=38" but that's just a pointer not a solution. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Octave, but you need it jail broken first.

jarednjames said:
You can use Octave, but you need it jail broken first.

I looked into octave. I've jailbroken but compiling octave for the iPod is not simple. To compile on the device you need a whole bunch of libraries that aren't all stable yet. Or you can build a binary for the ARM processor on your desktop machine then transfer it. Too lazy to try this yet. At present I'm using octave on a remote server and connecting to it via the shell on a jailbroken iPod touch. No graphics though :(

1. Can I use Matlab or Scilab on my iPod?

Unfortunately, there are currently no standalone Matlab or Scilab apps available for iPod. These programs are typically used on computers and may not be compatible with mobile devices.

2. Are there any alternative apps for Matlab or Scilab on iPod?

There are some alternative mathematical and scientific computing apps available on the App Store for iPod, but they may not have the same features and capabilities as Matlab or Scilab.

3. Can I access Matlab or Scilab through a remote desktop app on my iPod?

Yes, it is possible to access Matlab or Scilab on a remote desktop app, but this may require a stable internet connection and may not provide the best user experience on a small mobile screen.

4. Are there any plans to develop a standalone Matlab or Scilab app for iPod in the future?

There is no information currently available about any plans to develop standalone Matlab or Scilab apps for iPod. However, the developers of these programs are constantly working on updates and improvements, so it is possible that they may expand to other platforms in the future.

5. Can I use Matlab or Scilab through a virtual machine on my iPod?

It is possible to use a virtual machine on an iPod, but this may require technical expertise and may not provide the best performance for running complex programs like Matlab or Scilab.