Any suggestions on books? (Physics & Engineering)

In summary, the speaker just finished their A levels in math's/physics and is taking a year off before starting an engineering degree. They are looking for books to study during their break and are considering 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers' by authors like Feynman and Serway. They are open to spending money for the right information and are wondering if there are any books that cover most of the average engineering curriculum. The speaker also asks for recommendations based on their chosen branch of engineering. The person responding suggests studying linear algebra and recommends David C. Lay's text, as well as George B. Thomas' calculus texts. They also mention Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics as a good resource with online lectures and exercises.
Jamie Bristow
I just finished my A levels in math's/physics. I decided to take a year out before I start an engineering degree. I'm looking for books to study on my work break's and any down time I get.

I was looking at the 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers' by authors like Feynman and Serway. They can be expensive but I don't mind spending the money as long as I know I'm getting the right information.

Could anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or If there are any books that would cover most of the average engineering curriculum?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What branch of engineering? Mechanical, electrical, computer, chemical, environmental, etc. engineering all have vastly different curricula.

As far as physics and mathematics you might need, I do have some recommendations.

You should study linear algebra soon no matter what field you go into. My current favorite recommendation there is David C. Lay's text. The third edition is fine, and much cheaper used than more recent editions.

I've always liked George B. Thomas' calculus texts. Any edition since and including the 1968 edition are quite good.

For physics, I'm finding Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics to be an excellent recommendation to people I've helped recently. Shankar has video lectures posted online, and the book's site has exercises posted in PDFs of course materials.

Likes Jamie Bristow

1. What are some good introductory books for physics?

Some good introductory books for physics include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any books that cover both physics and engineering?

Yes, there are several books that cover both physics and engineering, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Douglas C. Giancoli, "Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics" by Russell C. Hibbeler, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman.

3. I am interested in learning about quantum mechanics. What books do you recommend?

Some recommended books on quantum mechanics are "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. Can you suggest any books for understanding electromagnetism?

Yes, some books for understanding electromagnetism are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch.

5. Are there any books that cover the basics of engineering and its applications?

Yes, there are many books that cover the basics of engineering and its applications, such as "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by J. L. Meriam and L. G. Kraige, "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran and Howard N. Shapiro, and "Introduction to Engineering Design" by Andrew Samuel and John Weir.