What to read for applied physics (engineering, inventions, designs, patents)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for resources on applied electrodynamics, specifically those that focus on the physics and mathematics behind inventions and patents. The conversation mentions a course page and a website that provide case studies, and then suggests a book on the physics of semiconductor devices and a website on semiconductor physics. Finally, the conversation mentions the need to start from solid state/condensed matter physics and semiconductor physics.
yucheng
I am looking books that are similar to many books/magazines that introduce 'inventions, how things work', but what I am interested is the physics and mathematics behind (specifically formulas, measurements, applied physics, patents?)

From the course page of an applied electrodynamics course, it mentions "Case studies of applied electrodynamics using publications in the engineering literature and related patents"

Similarly, there is a website that provides case studies.

I was wondering, are there any textbooks/materials/websites that provide such materials? Any advice on where to start reading?

I'd hope there are resources specifically for mechanical engineering and electrical engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Haha
Likes Demystifier, yucheng and atyy

1. What are the best books to read for applied physics?

There are many great books to read for applied physics, but some popular choices include "Introduction to Applied Physics" by John E. Nordling and "Applied Physics for Engineers" by Keith J. Laidler.

2. Are there any books specifically for engineering applications in physics?

Yes, there are several books that focus on the application of physics principles in engineering, such as "Engineering Applications of Physics" by R. Shankar Subramanian and "Applied Physics for Engineers" by Keith J. Laidler.

3. What books can help me with understanding inventions and designs in physics?

Some recommended books for understanding inventions and designs in physics include "The Art of Invention: The Creative Process of Discovery and Design" by Steven J. Paley and "Physics of Inventions and Innovations" by Anatoliy I. Fisenko and Sergey V. Fisenko.

4. Are there any books that specifically cover patents related to physics?

Yes, there are books that focus on patents related to physics, such as "Patents and How to Get One: A Practical Handbook" by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and "Patent Fundamentals for Scientists and Engineers" by Thomas T. Gordon and Arthur S. Cookfair.

5. Can you recommend any books for beginners in applied physics?

For beginners, some recommended books include "Applied Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca and "Fundamentals of Applied Physics" by Arthur Beiser. These books provide a solid foundation in applied physics principles and applications.