Anyone else Getting Boxes Damaged from Amazon Deliveries?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, this person is annoyed about the fact that they have had a lot of damaged boxes delivered to them in the past, and they are wondering if paying more for the standard delivery will improve the delivery. They say that they have never had this issue with packages delivered through Canada Post.
kyphysics
This is something I'm annoyed about. I order something from Amazon about once a month. We had some large items recently that looked literally thrown (too bad not captured on camera)...okay maybe it was already "busted" beforehand and the got delivered it as is, but still...the box was messed up...the bottom of one box was literally bust open and I couldn't lift the item without it falling out.

I don't use the next-day...2-3 day delivery. I don't have Amazon Prime and just buy stuff over $25 to get free delivery charges on standard delivery times. Would paying more improve the delivery? I'm wondering if these guys delivery the standard Amazon stuff are like paid little and don't care about our goods?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I buy generally from Amazon India rather than .com, the situation is not different. Yes, the delivery boxes are often damaged. If you buy phones or similar costly accessories, they will pack it properly. Otherwise, things like shoes always come in damaged boxes. I too don't have a prime membership.

In addition to the damaged boxes, there is no guarantee that you are the one who will receive the package that you paid for. Delivery persons just ask, "Are you so and so..?" If you reply with a "Yes", they will hand over the package and leave. I mean, someone can lie as well, right? I have often received packages that had my father's name on them, and when the item is delivered, Amazon shows, "Signed by and directly handed over to <my father's name>".

I have ordered numerous packages through Amazon (and no, I don't have Amazon Prime, although I am considering it to have access to the video streaming service), and as of this moment, none of the boxes have ever been damaged.

Keep in mind, however, that I am located in Canada, and in Canada, Amazon delivers packages through Canada Post. This would mean that I would expect the packaging to be damaged at approximately the same rate as any other delivery through Canada Post (in my personal experience, never, but others may have had different experiences).

I'm in Silicon Valley in Northern California, and my wife and I use Amazon a lot. We've never had any damage issues for packages. And that includes the private delivery folks that seem to contract with Amazon to do deliveries (unmarked vehicles, just regular folks in plain clothes).

Sorry you are having this problem. Have you tried contacting Amazon's customer support folks about this? I don't know if they are as responsive there were you live, but they are pretty responsive here in my experience (for incorrect item returns/exchanges).

(And no, I don't work for Amazon... :smile: )

1. Why are my Amazon deliveries arriving with damaged boxes?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the package was damaged during the shipping process. Another possibility is that the packaging materials used by Amazon were not sturdy enough to protect the contents of the box.

2. Is this a common issue with Amazon deliveries?

While it is not uncommon for packages to arrive with some degree of damage, it is not a widespread issue with Amazon deliveries. However, there may be certain areas or carriers that have a higher incidence of damaged packages.

3. What should I do if my package arrives with a damaged box?

If you notice that your package has a damaged box, it is important to inspect the contents for any damage. If the items inside are also damaged, you can contact Amazon customer service for a replacement or refund. If the items are undamaged, you can still choose to contact Amazon to report the issue and provide feedback.

4. Are there any steps I can take to prevent my packages from arriving with damaged boxes?

While you cannot control the shipping process, there are some steps you can take to help prevent your packages from arriving with damaged boxes. These include choosing a shipping option with better packaging, such as Amazon Prime, and providing specific delivery instructions to the carrier, such as leaving the package in a specific location or requiring a signature upon delivery.

5. How does Amazon handle damaged packages?

If your package arrives with a damaged box, you can contact Amazon customer service to report the issue. They will work with you to provide a replacement or refund for the damaged items. Amazon also has a policy in place to prevent damaged packages, such as using sturdy packaging materials and offering insurance for high-value items.