Anyone familiar with "GAP" for group arithemetic?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Group
In summary, a software package called GAP specializes in Group Theory and can be downloaded for free. A user is having trouble using it and is looking for help in finding a "missing group" in the Symmetric groups. They have made some progress with their code and have also contacted support for assistance with another project.
jackmell
Hi guys,

There is a software package called GAP for "Groups, Algorithms, and Programming" with emphasis on Group Theory. You can download it for free. I did. However I'm finding it so intractable to use. I would like to find the "missing group" in the Symmetric groups. That is, the group order which divides the size of ##S_n## but is not a subgroup of ##S_n##. I'm sure GAP can do it. So far I got the following code down:

(* first just get the group *)
mygroup:=SymmetricGroup(4);
subgroups:=AllSubgroups(mygroup);

and that's about as far as I can go with it for now. At this point "subgroups" contain all the subgroups of mygroup. I would like then to create a table of group size, total subgroups, then I can find the missing ones.

Anyone here familiar with using GAP can help me with this?

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg,

I'm making progress with the code. I had started another thread pertaining to the data from GAP where I posted a brilliant piece of GAP code I painfully pieced together:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/converse-of-lagranges-theorem-for-groups.833243/

I contacted their support as you suggested for another project I'm working on this time pertaining to conjugate classes in the symmetric groups. Thanks,

Jack

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is "GAP" for group arithmetic?

"GAP" stands for Groups, Algorithms, and Programming. It is a computer algebra system specifically designed for computational group theory and related areas of algebra and mathematics.

2. What are the main features of "GAP"?

"GAP" has a wide range of features, including the ability to work with various types of groups, perform calculations and computations, and visualize and analyze group structures. It also has a comprehensive library of pre-defined groups, algorithms, and functions.

3. How can "GAP" be used in research?

"GAP" can be used by researchers in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and combinatorics, to perform complex calculations and analyze group structures. It is also useful in teaching and learning group theory concepts.

4. Is "GAP" user-friendly?

While "GAP" may have a steep learning curve for beginners, it is generally considered to be user-friendly and has a well-developed help system and extensive documentation to assist users. It also has a user-friendly graphical interface for easier navigation.

5. Can "GAP" be used on different operating systems?

Yes, "GAP" is a cross-platform software and can be used on various operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It is also available for download as open-source software.