Anyone have advice on how to learn languages?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Cruz Martinez
  • Start date
In summary, Rosetta Stone is a good way to learn a language, but one should also engage in other activities, like playing games, to help improve vocabulary retention.
Cruz Martinez
I guess it is ok to post this here, in any case if it's not I guess the moderators will edit it.

I am trying to teach myself german, grammar and pronounciation stick to me very easily, however I am having trouble building vocabulary and getting fast at sentence building.

My native language is spanish as might be easily be infered from my name here. I am able to speak and to write in english pretty well, but I learned it without ever trying to, through many years of watching american television lol.

I can´t repeat this process with german because it would take too long. If anyone knows of strategies to build a big vocabulary on a consistent basis and to get better at fast sentence building I would be very thankful to hear them!

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Cruz.
First of all to learn language is knowing everything around you by the new language you want to learn, in this case germany.
my japanese friend have a mini dictionary he made it by him self. it contained:
- every part of you body.. from hair to foot
- everything around your bedroom, your kitchen, your livingroom, your guessroom
- everything around your neighbourhood, your office, etc
once you have reach at least 600 words which you already can speel it well, you are already can speak new language.
try that, and have a good time.!

Likes Cruz Martinez
I have heard a lot of good things about the Rosetta Stone tapes. And I agree with armand, immersion is the best, if not only way to learn a language in a reasonable amount of time. Alles Gute.

Likes Cruz Martinez
Watch movies you are familiar with dubbed in the language you want to learn. Practice speaking along with or reply to the characters.

Likes Cruz Martinez
montoyas7940 said:
Watch movies you are familiar with dubbed in the language you want to learn. Practice speaking along with or reply to the characters.

I hadnt thought of that, will try it.
Thanks everyone!

I find the best way to learn vocabulary is through games of any form. The act of figuring out the answer helps immensely with retention.
This can range from using flash cards (use e.g. Anki) to playing computer games in the target language, to solving online quizzes, to writing poetry.

Quizzes are often to be found in the vicinity of online language dictionaries. Google is your friend.

Poetry writing should be taken without reverence and enjoyed. Pick a simple form at first, like the alliterative verse or simplified haiku, a random theme, and try telling a story in a few lines (e.g.: black bear bought a basketball; he plays poorly but patiently persists). Make use of a dictionary (again, online ones are the easiest to use). The more rigid the form (e.g. how many syllables in a line, what kind of rhymes), the more you end up struggling to fit something in there, scouring your memory and looking up new words, and the better handle you get on your vocabulary.

One might use an online language-learning site such as Duolingo. This particular site uses the 'Skinner box' approach, that is, it gamifies the learning process. You earn 'experience points', 'levels' and 'currency'. Gives you a sense of progress and provides motivation. You can use Anki in connection with Duolingo via specially-prepared cards available for download.

Slow-going computer games are not a bad way to do it. You want games like strategy or role-playing, where, essentially, you need to learn what each button and item means to know how to do what you're supposed to do. The issue is limited, and somewhat esoteric scope of vocabulary available in such games (exactly how useful is knowing the difference between various parts of a knight's wardrobe, when you can't even order a meal in a restaurant, etc.).

Whenever you encounter a new word that you are going to look up in a dictionary, try looking up its etymology as well. You may find surprising connections with words you already know, including in your own language, which in turn helps with retention.

Likes Cruz Martinez
Together will the idea of , e.g., watching movies, why not try reading general material you are familiar with, written in German,
e.g., if you are familiar with Shakespeare, read it in German, and you can have a good idea, from the general context, of what the words mean. I passed my German exams thanks in part to Wikipediacht (free!) : look up something you are familiar with in Wikipediacht and follow the links.

Last edited:
Likes Cruz Martinez
Deutschewelle has some great learning stuff at this site. I found the "langsam gesprochene nachrichten" (slowly spoken news) very useful. You listen to it every day, and since they are talking about things you are familiar with (because presumably you have some idea what is going on in the world) you can pick up vocabulary from the context without having to look up everything. I kept a log and wrote down any words I didn't know, then looked them up. I found the combination of hearing the words, writing them down and looking them up helped my retention a lot.

Another thing I found really useful was to read simple books that you are already familiar with. Since you know the plot, you can pick up a lot of words from context. I read the whole Harry Potter series in German.

Likes Cruz Martinez
Bandersnatch said:
Poetry writing should be taken without reverence and enjoyed. Pick a simple form at first, like the alliterative verse or simplified haiku, a random theme, and try telling a story in a few lines (e.g.: black bear bought a basketball; he plays poorly but patiently persists). Make use of a dictionary (again, online ones are the easiest to use). The more rigid the form (e.g. how many syllables in a line, what kind of rhymes), the more you end up struggling to fit something in there, scouring your memory and looking up new words, and the better handle you get on your vocabulary.

WWGD said:
Together will the idea of , e.g., watching movies, why not try reading general material you are familiar with, written in German,
e.g., if you are familiar with Shakespeare, read it in German, and you can have a good idea, from the general context, of what the words mean. I passed my German exams thanks in part to Wikipediacht (free!) : look up something you are familiar with in Wikipediacht and follow the links.

phyzguy said:
Deutschewelle has some great learning stuff at this site. I found the "langsam gesprochene nachrichten" (slowly spoken news) very useful. You listen to it every day, and since they are talking about things you are familiar with (because presumably you have some idea what is going on in the world) you can pick up vocabulary from the context without having to look up everything. I kept a log and wrote down any words I didn't know, then looked them up. I found the combination of hearing the words, writing them down and looking them up helped my retention a lot.

Another thing I found really useful was to read simple books that you are already familiar with. Since you know the plot, you can pick up a lot of words from context. I read the whole Harry Potter series in German.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will definitely try these 3 suggestions at least. Writing some poetry for active use of the language, reading familiar books in german to improve my reading understanding and build vocabulary along the way, and listening to slowly spoken news to improve my listening skills. :)
If I ever get as good in german as I am in english I will think of you guys :p

The best program I've found to learn a language is Pimsleur. I've tried a bunch of language learning programs, and that one works best for me. You learn a lot just in a few lessons. You should try out a demo. It's good to listen to on a commute to work or something.

1. How long does it take to learn a new language?

The time it takes to learn a new language varies depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the language, your motivation and dedication, and your previous language learning experience. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to several years to become proficient in a new language.

2. What is the best way to learn a new language?

The best way to learn a new language is by immersing yourself in it. This can include taking classes, watching movies or TV shows in that language, listening to music, and practicing with native speakers. It's also important to have a consistent study routine and use various learning methods, such as flashcards, language exchange programs, and apps.

3. How many languages can a person realistically learn?

There is no limit to the number of languages a person can learn. It ultimately depends on the individual's dedication, motivation, and learning abilities. Some people may be able to learn and fluently speak multiple languages, while others may struggle with just one. It's important to find the right balance and not overwhelm yourself.

4. Is it better to learn a language through immersion or in a classroom setting?

Both immersion and classroom learning have their advantages. Immersion allows for a more natural and practical approach to using the language, while classroom learning provides structure and guidance. It's best to find a combination of both methods that works for you, such as taking classes and practicing with native speakers.

5. Can adults learn a new language as easily as children?

While children may have an advantage in language learning due to their developing brains, adults can still learn a new language successfully. It may take longer for adults to become fluent, but they have the advantage of prior language learning experience and a better understanding of grammar and syntax. With dedication and practice, adults can become proficient in a new language.