Anyone have experience with recovering silver from fix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of recovering silver from photo labs using an electrolytic cell. The group advises to consider the economics before starting, as the current silver price may not make it a profitable venture. They also mention that the value of silver objects is not solely based on the metal's value. The discussion then touches on the cost of building the cell and the value of one's time. A link to a helpful resource is also shared, and the conversation ends with a humorous anecdote about a previous experience with an electrolytic cell.
mesa
Gold Member
We go through an inordinate amount of fix in our photo labs (20+ gallons/week) and are interested in trying to recover the silver. An electrolytic cell seems like the way to go. Anyone have suggestions, tips, or advice in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work out the economics before you start. With the silver price around $20 an ounce, you probably won't make much money from this.

Remember that much of the value in objects made from silver (jewellery, antiques, etc) is in the workmanship and/or the scarcity of the object, not the value of the metal

AlephZero said:
Work out the economics before you start. With the silver price around $20 an ounce, you probably won't make much money from this.

Remember that much of the value in objects made from silver (jewellery, antiques, etc) is in the workmanship and/or the scarcity of the object, not the value of the metal

With access to campus resources (machine shop) building something will have a cost near zero (also it should prove to be a fun project as well!).

mesa said:
With access to campus resources (machine shop) building something will have a cost near zero (also it should prove to be a fun project as well!).

So you don't put any value on your own time? :biggrin:

This might be worth reading. www.kodak.co.uk/ek/uploadedFiles/J215ENG.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
AlephZero said:
So you don't put any value on your own time? :biggrin:

The school pays me minimum wage so I am worth at least $7.85/hr :approve:

AlephZero said:
This might be worth reading. www.kodak.co.uk/ek/uploadedFiles/J215ENG.pdf

That is a good link, very complete!

So do you have any experience building electrolytic cells? The last one I built (many, many years ago) worked great until it blew up :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I recover silver from fix?

There are several methods for recovering silver from fix, including electrolysis, chemical precipitation, and ion exchange. The most commonly used method is electrolysis, which involves passing an electrical current through the fix solution to separate the silver from the other metals.

2. Is it worth recovering silver from fix?

Yes, it can be worth recovering silver from fix as it is a valuable precious metal. The amount of silver that can be recovered will depend on the concentration of silver in the fix solution and the method used for recovery.

3. What equipment do I need for silver recovery from fix?

The equipment needed for silver recovery from fix will depend on the method being used. For electrolysis, you will need a power source, electrodes, and a container for the fix solution. For chemical precipitation, you will need chemicals such as sodium sulfide and hydrochloric acid. For ion exchange, you will need an ion exchange column and resin.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when recovering silver from fix?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when recovering silver from fix. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the instructions for the specific method being used.

5. Can I recover silver from fix multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to recover silver from fix multiple times. However, the quality of the silver may decrease with each recovery, so it is important to monitor the purity and adjust the recovery method if necessary.