Anyone in the SF Bay Area into audiophile and/or building amps etc.?

In summary, the speaker is looking for people in the Silicon Valley area who are interested in high-end audiophile equipment and designing and building audio electronics. They mention having designed power amps and are interested in finding others with similar interests to potentially listen to systems together or discuss designs. The speaker also mentions an amazing EE who has since retired and moved away, and suggests looking into local audiophile clubs for potential connections. They also provide a link to an upcoming event called "Burning Amp" that may be of interest to audiophiles in the area.
yungman
Hi

I live in the Santa Clara bay area in the Silicon Valley, I want to see anyone here that are living close by that are into high end audiophile stuffs particular designing and building audio electronics. It's hard to find anyone that is into this, it would be nice to find people to share this interest and get together to listen to different systems or talk about designs. I design power amps and have a few built already.

Thanks

Alan

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
I used to work with an amazing EE who was an accomplished audiophile, but he retired and moved to the midwest. He was one of the top two analog engineers that I have ever worked with, and designed audio systems for his church and other large venues on his own time. I'll ask around...

Likes yungman
Check out this. It’s in about 3 weeks.
http://www.burningamp.org/

Likes berkeman

1. What is an audiophile?

An audiophile is someone who is passionate about high-quality audio and strives to achieve the best possible sound experience. They often invest in high-end audio equipment and are constantly seeking ways to improve their listening experience.

2. What does it mean to "build amps"?

Building amps refers to the process of constructing or assembling amplifiers, which are electronic devices that increase the power of an audio signal. This can involve soldering together various components and following specific circuit designs to create a functioning amplifier.

3. What is the SF Bay Area audiophile community like?

The SF Bay Area audiophile community is a diverse and active group of individuals who share a passion for high-quality audio. There are many local clubs and meetups where members can discuss and demo equipment, as well as attend events and workshops related to audio technology.

4. What are some common misconceptions about audiophiles?

One common misconception is that audiophiles are only interested in expensive, high-end equipment. While some audiophiles do invest in expensive gear, many are also interested in DIY projects and finding affordable ways to improve their audio setup. Another misconception is that audiophiles are snobbish or elitist, when in reality they are simply passionate about their hobby.

5. Are there any resources or forums for those interested in building amps in the SF Bay Area?

Yes, there are several online forums and communities specifically for DIY audio enthusiasts in the SF Bay Area. Some popular ones include the SF Audiophile Society, Bay Area DIY Audio Club, and the SF Bay Area Audiophile and DIY Enthusiasts Facebook group. These groups offer a wealth of knowledge and resources for those interested in building amps and other audio equipment.