Anyone know anything about magnetic amplifiers?

In summary, a magnetic amplifier is a device that can be used to control current from the source to the load. It acts like a variable inductance and inductance doesn't dissipate heat. They are enjoying a comeback and you'll find them as feedback elements in switching power supplies.
tim9000
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew if you could use a magnetic amplifier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Magnetic_amplifier.svg
as like a variable resistor for controlling current from the source to the load?
I imagine there would be a large voltage imposed across it when it is a high impedance.

Thinking just about the source and load electrical circuit: What sort of range of impedance would a magnetic amplifier have in this respect (as a variable impedance), could it go from acting like a really low impedance circuit component (of near zero ohms) to one in the M Ohms?
If so, if you've got a couple amps going through it and it looks like say 50 Ohms, is all that power being burnt up in the core of the Mag Amp in heat?
So the impedance of the Mag Amplifier being seen from the source/load side of the electric circuit, is that the magnetising branch impedance of the Mag Amp?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The magamp acts like a variable inductance and inductance doesn't dissipate heat. So they're pretty decent amplifiers but inexpensive thyristors drove them nearly extinct.

Add to your search the terms "self saturating"

self saturating magamp was the industrial workhorse before solid state power devices became available..

Be aware they are nonlinear, for what you're controlling is where in the sinewave its impedance goes to zero
my old WW2 era textbook says quite rightly they defy precise mathematical analysis.

They are enjoying a comeback and you'll find them as feedback elements in switching power supplies. They give galvanic isolation which is handy.
TI and Maxim have appnotes on modern ones. I'd have to search for them.

If i can find my magamp book will post its author, maybe some obscure bookseller will have a copy.

Meantime have a look here:
http://teslapress.com/magamp.pdf

and here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/search-for-magnetic-amplifier-circuit.654456/
http://d-amp.org/content/images/1067_mag3.PDF
http://stromrichter.org/d-amp/content/images/1067_mag4.PDF

Looks like there's a lot more interest in them of late !
I always liked them for their longevity . About all that goes wrong with them is the diodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim, thanks for all the links, I will have a look through all of them (even after I find the answers I'm looking for). Hmm, ok that makes sense about regulating induction, but could you tell me if this is right:
During the high impedance (unsaturated) state it is acting like an inductor that is so big that practically all the voltage of the circuit is across it, so the mag amp is drawing serious VARs?
(if not that's fine, I'll read about it in your links regardless)
Thanks Jim!

P.S I'll keep that non linearity in mind

tim9000 said:
so the mag amp is drawing serious VARs?

think about it - it's a lot of inductance, so XL is high, so neither much current nor very many vars can flow.
The ones i worked with, not huge maybe grapefruit size, could shut down to just a milliamp or two.

Ah ok, cool.

Thanks

1. What is a magnetic amplifier?

A magnetic amplifier is a type of electrical device that uses the principles of magnetic saturation to amplify an electrical signal. It consists of a core made of ferromagnetic material, surrounded by coils of wire. When a small control signal is applied to the input coil, it creates a magnetic field that saturates the core, allowing a larger output signal to be produced by the output coil.

2. How do magnetic amplifiers work?

Magnetic amplifiers work by taking advantage of the non-linear relationship between the magnetic flux density and the magnetic field strength in a ferromagnetic material. As the input signal saturates the core, the output signal is amplified, allowing for precise control of the output signal.

3. What are the advantages of using magnetic amplifiers?

Some advantages of using magnetic amplifiers include high reliability, fast response time, and the ability to handle high power levels. They also have a simple design and do not require any active components, making them more cost-effective compared to other types of amplifiers.

4. What are the applications of magnetic amplifiers?

Magnetic amplifiers are commonly used in power supplies, motor control systems, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in high-voltage and high-current applications, such as in industrial machinery and power grid systems.

5. Are magnetic amplifiers still used today?

Yes, magnetic amplifiers are still used today in various applications. While they have been largely replaced by solid-state devices such as transistors and integrated circuits, they are still preferred in certain situations, such as in high-power and high-voltage applications where their reliability and robustness are necessary.