AP Physics CH 5: Centripetal Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the minimum speed a ball can have at point Z without leaving its circular path. It involves using equations V≤(x/t), V≤(2∏r)/(t), and V=√(GM1)/(r), and considering the forces and acceleration on the ball. The key concept is that the ball needs to maintain a specific radius to stay on the track.
mitchmcsscm94

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for Vmin, the minimum speed the ball can have at point Z without leaving the circular path.

Homework Equations

V≤(x/t)
V≤(2∏r)/(t)
V=√(GM1)/(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set 2∏r = to x since its in a circle. i then had V≤(2∏r)/(t)
then i had (2∏r)/(t)=√(GM1)/(r)
in the end i got t=2∏√(r3)/(Gm1)
it didnt make sense to me so i came here for help /:

Physics news on Phys.org
The key equation here are v.v=-a.r , and ΣF=ma .
Is "z" the top of a circular loop? if so, then a fast ball would be pushed down by the track (helping mg to accelerate the ball's mass downward). too slow, and the radius of the ball's path, given by r = -v.v/g , would be too small to stay on the track. you want the radius of the ball's path to be the same as the Radius of the track.

They want the speed, not the time.

point "z" is about 90 degrees there are also points "M, P, and Q". "Q" is about 270 degrees. "P" is 180 and m is about 60.

idk if that helps

Last edited:
90 degrees? from where? from horizontal? then that is the TOP. are you trying to hide important aspects of the question from yourself?

Hello,

I am a scientist and I am happy to provide a response to your question.

The expression you have derived is incorrect. To find the minimum speed at point Z, we need to consider the forces acting on the ball. The ball is moving in a circular path at point Z, which means there must be a centripetal force acting on it, directed towards the center of the circle. This force is provided by the tension in the string attached to the ball.

The minimum speed at point Z is the speed at which the centripetal force is just enough to keep the ball moving in a circular path, without it leaving the circular path. This means that the centripetal force must be equal to the weight of the ball, which is given by the equation Fc = mg, where m is the mass of the ball and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

We can also use the equation for centripetal force, Fc = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the ball, v is its speed, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Setting these two equations equal to each other, we get mg = mv²/r. Solving for v, we get v = √(gr). This is the minimum speed the ball must have at point Z in order to stay in the circular path. This equation does not involve time, as the speed at point Z is constant.

I hope this helps in your understanding of centripetal motion. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work in your AP Physics class!

Related to AP Physics CH 5: Centripetal Motion

1. What is centripetal motion and how does it differ from linear motion?

Centripetal motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. It is different from linear motion, which is a straight-line movement, because it involves a constant change in direction rather than a constant change in speed.

2. What is the centripetal acceleration formula and how is it derived?

The centripetal acceleration formula is a = v²/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path. It is derived from Newton's Second Law, F = ma, where F is the net force on the object and m is its mass. In the case of centripetal motion, the net force is provided by the inward centripetal force, mv²/r. Equating these two equations, we get a = v²/r.

3. How does centripetal force affect an object in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. Without it, the object would continue moving in a straight line. The direction of centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle, and its magnitude is proportional to the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the radius of the circular path.

4. Can centripetal motion be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, centripetal motion is observed in many real-world scenarios, such as the movement of a car around a curved road, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, or the orbit of planets around the sun. It is also used in technologies like centrifuges in laboratories and amusement park rides.

5. How is centripetal motion related to the concept of centripetal force?

Centripetal motion and centripetal force are closely related, as the force is necessary to maintain the circular motion of an object. The direction of the force is always towards the center of the circle, while its magnitude is determined by the mass, velocity, and radius of the object's motion. Without centripetal force, an object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.