AP Physics differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass m sliding on a horizontal surface with an initial velocity v0, and the sliding friction force f exerted on the block being directly proportional to its velocity. The summary includes a differential equation for the velocity v, the acceleration a, the speed v as a function of time t, and the total distance the block slides. The conversation also mentions two options for solving the problem and the use of separation of variables to find the solution to the linear ODEs with constant coefficients. Additionally, it is mentioned that the SUVAT equations cannot be used and a differential equation relating velocity to distance is needed.
MrPyromaniac

Homework Statement

A block of mass m, which has an initial velocity v0 at time t = 0, slides on a horizontal surface. If the sliding friction force f exerted on the block by the surface is directly proportional to its velocity (that is, f = -kv),
A) Write a differential equation for the velocity v in terms of the given variables and fundamental constants.
B) Find the acceleration a of the block in terms of m, k, and v.
C) The speed v of the block as a function of time t.
D) The total distance the block slides.

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand why B is a = (-kv)/m, and I know the answer to a is dv/dt = -kv/m but I don't know why, and I have no idea how to solve for velocity. Assuming I get a function for the velocity, what general equation would I use to solve for the total distance? I originally thought x-x0 = v0*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, but the acceleration isn't uniform.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two options:
1. You can use separation of variables if you're familiar with it.
2. The solution to linear ODEs with constant coefficients is found by assuming [itex]v=e^{s t}[/itex] and finding out what [itex]s[/itex] is.

MrPyromaniac said:
I understand why B is a = (-kv)/m, and I know the answer to a is dv/dt = -kv/m but I don't know why,
What equation connects a with v?
MrPyromaniac said:
and I have no idea how to solve for velocity.
Rearrange the equation to have all the references to v on one side and all references to t on the other. This is the "separation of variables" method axmls refers to.
MrPyromaniac said:
Assuming I get a function for the velocity, what general equation would I use to solve for the total distance?
You did well to realize you cannot use the SUVAT equations here.
Suppose you have velocity as a function of time, v=f(t). What differential equation relates velocity to distance? (This is very like the first question I asked you in this post.)

1. What is the meaning of differential equation in AP Physics?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In AP Physics, these equations are used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as motion, energy, and electric fields.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. In AP Physics, ordinary differential equations are commonly used to describe motion and energy, while partial differential equations are used to describe phenomena like heat transfer and wave propagation.

3. How are differential equations used in AP Physics?

Differential equations are used in AP Physics to model and analyze a wide range of physical phenomena. They can be used to predict the behavior of objects in motion, determine the forces acting on a system, and understand the dynamics of complex systems.

4. Are there any specific techniques for solving differential equations in AP Physics?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving differential equations in AP Physics, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. These techniques are used to find the general solution of the equation, which can then be used to solve specific problems.

5. How important are differential equations in AP Physics?

Differential equations are a fundamental tool in AP Physics, as they are used to describe and analyze a wide range of physical phenomena. Understanding how to set up and solve differential equations is crucial for success in AP Physics and other advanced physics courses.