AP Physics Lab Help: Calculating Acceleration and Distance on an Inclined Ramp

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving finding the initial velocity needed for the ball to go the distance from the cliff to the bucket, based on how high the cliff is. They used potential energy, and either found the velocity at the bottom of the ramp or determined the total velocity by using regular coordinates and not transforming.
dukiex3
I'm new here, so sorry if I post this incorrectly! =/

I've scanned the lab, and the pictures are below.

img112.jpg

img114.jpg

Homework Statement

Well, the problem statement is in the picture, I guess...

and our givens are that change in X is .35 meters, change in Y is -.91 meters, acceleration of Y = -9.8m/seconds squared, and initial velocity of Y is 0.

Homework Equations

change in y (or x) = (vi)(t) + (1/2)(a)(time squared)
velocity final = velocity inital + (a)(t)
velocity final squared= velocity inital squared + (2)(a)(change in x or y)
change in y (or x) = (1/2)(velocity final-velocity initial) (t)

The Attempt at a Solution

As seen above, we have calculated the time needed for the ball to go from point C into the pan. From this, we then figured out the initial velocity needed for the X component of the ramp. The distance from B-C (though, it has to be greater than zero so that the Y velocity starts at 0) is irrelevant because the velocity for X is always constant. We have figured the acceleration (Sorry I don't have the work for that, my lab partners do.) out by using the equation "velocity final squared= velocity inital squared + (2)(a)(change in x or y)." I am not sure about this acceleration, though. So, we need to figure out the acceleration needed so that at point C, the change in velocity for X = .812 m/s. After we calculate this, we need to find the angle needed for the ramp, and the distance from A-B.

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what are you asking about again? I think you more or less have it down, though I got lost in your explanation.

Basically you figure out what initial x velocity you would need for the ball to go the distance from the cliff to the bucket, where the amount of travel time, and thus the initial velocity, is based on how high the cliff is. So if you use energy conservation you can figure out how high your ramp needs to be to give you that initial velocity.

energy conservation? I guess I'll google that.

We haven't really talked about that stuff in class, so I don't think I can use it.. any other way?

and thanks, mindscrape, for replying.

Yeah, you can always do the classic ramp with an angle way. You will have to sum the x and y velocities at the bottom of the ramp to get the magnitude of velocity though.

By potential energy, which you may or may not be allowed to use, but I don't see why not if you can demonstrate an understanding of it, you can see that the velocity at the end of the ramp will be v = sqrt(2gh) where h is the vertical distance (y distance). At least use it to check your answer.

lol.. (I don't know if this forum is all anti-lol, so sorry in advance for using it =].) I've honestly never had a physics class before this one, so all I know is what I've been taught, and evidently, I don't know that all too well, either. So, can anyone explain this classic ramp with an angle way? What would my change in Y velocity be?

Grrr, lol is not allowed here, physicists are serious and down to business. You haven't done any inclined planes yet? Huh, why do you have this problem then?

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Dynamics/gifs/InclinePlane02.gif

You can either find the velocity at the bottom of the ramp with a fancy inclined plane transformation like in the diagram above, and since all the velocity is in the direction of the transformed x, and there is no velocity in the transformed y direction, then you know the magnitude must be sqrt(v_xtrans^2) = v_xtrans.

Alternatively, you can stick with regular coordinates and not confuse yourself with a transformed coordinate system, and find the velocity in x and the velocity in y based on their respective acceleration components, then find the total magnitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't access the pictures. What do I need to do in order to see them?

Related to AP Physics Lab Help: Calculating Acceleration and Distance on an Inclined Ramp

1. What is the purpose of an AP Physics lab?

The purpose of an AP Physics lab is to provide students with hands-on experience in applying the concepts and principles they have learned in class. It allows them to explore and understand the laws of physics through practical experiments and data analysis.

2. How can I prepare for an AP Physics lab?

To prepare for an AP Physics lab, make sure you have a solid understanding of the relevant theories and equations. Review your notes and textbook, and familiarize yourself with the lab procedures and equipment. It is also helpful to discuss the lab with your classmates and ask your teacher for any clarifications or tips.

3. What are the most important safety precautions to keep in mind during an AP Physics lab?

Safety should always be a top priority during an AP Physics lab. Some important precautions to keep in mind include wearing appropriate protective gear, following instructions carefully, and being aware of potential hazards such as electrical shocks and chemical spills. It is also important to never work alone in the lab and to always have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher nearby.

4. How should I approach data analysis in an AP Physics lab?

Data analysis is a crucial part of an AP Physics lab. To approach it effectively, start by organizing your data in a clear and organized manner. Then, look for patterns and trends in the data and analyze them using the relevant equations and concepts. Be sure to also include any sources of error and discuss their potential impact on your results.

5. What should I do if I encounter difficulties during an AP Physics lab?

If you encounter difficulties during an AP Physics lab, do not panic. Take a step back and carefully review the lab instructions and your data. If you are still unsure, don't hesitate to ask your teacher for assistance. They are there to help and guide you through the lab, so don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification.