AP Physics Summer work problems

In summary, to find the work performed when pulling a bow with a spring constant of 168 N/m to a draw of 54 cm, you can use the equation W = k*x^2 where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement. This results in 49 joules. However, to find the potential energy of the spring, you must use the equation U = 1/2*k*x^2, which results in 24.4944 joules. To find the speed of the 98 gram arrow when released, you must use the conservation of energy and compare it to the kinetic energy equation, resulting in an easy solution.
Iamaskier721

Homework Statement

Assuming you have a bow that behaves like a spring with a spring constant of 168 N/m and you pull it to a draw of 54 cm, to the nearest joule how much work do you perform?

Homework Equations

The force of a constant spring is f=-k(x) where x is the displacement and k is the spring constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

So Basically If I find the force and then place it into the simple work equation W=F(x) where x is displacement and F is force. I get 49(rounded). Am I doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an equation for potential spring energy... it looks similar to the kinetic energy equation, but with different variables.

Welcome to the forums Iammaskier,

Yes, it looks like you are doing it correctly to me. Basically, W = k*x^2 in this case.

There's an equation for potential spring energy... it looks similar to the kinetic energy equation, but with different variables.

Ok, but what does that have to do with this problem?

Is use that equation of u=1/2kx^2 and got 24.4944 joules. How does that convert to the work performed?

Another quick question! There is a second part which is... to the nearest tenth of a m/s, what is the speed of the 98 gram arrow when it is released?

I know I have to find the velocity but I have no clue how to do it.

I've never taken physics before and it's decenlty hard to teach yourself=/

This link shall explain why you simply can't use W=kx^2, but instead W=.5kx^2

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.emporia.edu/physics/keithron/collegelab1/hooklaw.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course, once you realize that, then the second part to your problem should become quite easy if you understand the conservation of energy, as well as a comparison I made in my initial reply regarding another similar looking equation.

1. What is the purpose of AP Physics Summer work problems?

The purpose of AP Physics Summer work problems is to help students review and strengthen their understanding of key concepts in physics before starting the AP Physics course. It also allows students to become familiar with the types of problems they will encounter and the level of complexity expected in the course.

2. How many problems should I complete over the summer?

The number of problems assigned for AP Physics Summer work varies depending on the school and teacher. However, it is recommended to complete as many problems as possible to ensure a solid foundation for the course. It is also important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just completing a specific number of problems.

3. Can I use outside resources to help me with the problems?

While it is important to work independently on the AP Physics Summer work problems, it is acceptable to use outside resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups for clarification or additional practice. However, it is important to make sure that the solutions are your own and that you fully understand the concepts.

4. What if I am struggling with a particular problem?

If you are struggling with a particular problem, it is important to not get discouraged and to seek help from your teacher or a classmate. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and focusing on understanding each part before putting it all together. Remember, it is okay to make mistakes as they can help you learn and improve.

5. Is it necessary to complete the AP Physics Summer work problems to do well in the course?

While completing the AP Physics Summer work problems is not mandatory, it is highly recommended as it can greatly benefit your understanding and success in the course. The summer work is designed to review and reinforce important concepts that will be built upon in the course. Not completing the summer work may put you at a disadvantage in the beginning of the course.