Apparent contradiction in time dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses a video that highlights an apparent contradiction in time dilation known as the "twins paradox." The video claims that the clock that is accelerated is relative and cannot be both faster and slower, but this is not a contradiction to the theory of relativity. The video also claims that acceleration is not accounted for in relativity, but this is false. The conversation advises against watching videos that mention "ether, Aether, or free energy" and mentions that the video has been deleted due to its likely crackpottery content.
Julius Ceasar
TL;DR Summary
This video here 8.50 to 9.50 minutes , shows an apparent contradiction in time dilation, in the "twins paradox" the clock that is accelerated is relative, i.e. from earth the space ship moves but from the space ship the earth moves, i know time dilation is a real thing used in real applications like gps hence I say an apparent contradiction but the point is that a clock cannot be both faster and slower.
This video here <link deleted> 8.50 to 9.50 minutes , shows an apparent contradiction in time dilation, in the "twins paradox" the clock that is accelerated is relative, i.e. from Earth the spaceship moves but from the spaceship the Earth moves. I know time dilation is a real thing used in real applications like gps hence I say an apparent contradiction but they seem to make a fair point that a clock cannot be both faster and slower.

Note: Link to aether theory crackpottery deleted by Mentor

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "twin paradox" is a standard, well-known result of relativity -- not a contradiction to it. That video is nonsense if it claims otherwise.

There are many, many threads discussing the twin paradox on this site. Or just pick up any relativity text. Dive in!

The video says acceleration is not accounted for in relativity. This is nonsense. This is another video of someone "proving" relativity is wrong by mis-stating the theory entirely. Accelerations matter even in SR. The ship (earth or rocket in this case) that accelerates in one direction and then turns around has a fundamentally different experience than the one that stays in the same frame of reference. It is the turning around that marks the asymmetry. This event occurs instantly for the accelerating body (the ship is present at the event of the turn around) but takes a while for this event to travel to the Earth (earth won't see the turn around event until the light relaying the information arrives there) By this time, the ship will almost be back to Earth (for a relativistic trip near speed c) So the Earth will see the return trip taking very little time. Since time will appear to move faster than normal for the objects approaching one another (search term: doppler effect time dilation) the Earth only sees time moving fast on the ship for a short time, but the ship will watch the Earth approach for the same amount of time as the outbound leg of the voyage. So time will run faster on Earth from the rocket frame of reference for a longer time. Hence more time will elapse on Earth than the rocket. Note that neither one is "right". It is perfectly acceptable for different times to elapse for different observers. It's the so-called spacetime interval that is preserved. They're are better explanations than this but it gives an idea of whence the apparent "paradox" comes from. In fact, it is not a paradox. If it didn't occur, that would mark an actual paradox.

Likes PeroK
I'm not going to waste 19 minutes of my life watching a YouTube video titled "AETHER FIELD IS THERE - THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!" It is almost certainly crackpottery.

Julius Ceasar said:
Summary:: This video here 8.50 to 9.50 minutes , shows an apparent contradiction in time dilation, in the "twins paradox" the clock that is accelerated is relative, i.e. from Earth the spaceship moves but from the spaceship the Earth moves, i know time dilation is a real thing used in real applications like gps hence I say an apparent contradiction but the point is that a clock cannot be both faster and slower.

This video here 8.50 to 9.50 minutes , shows an apparent contradiction in time dilation, in the "twins paradox" the clock that is accelerated is relative, i.e. from Earth the spaceship moves but from the spaceship the Earth moves. I know time dilation is a real thing used in real applications like gps hence I say an apparent contradiction but they seem to make a fair point that a clock cannot be both faster and slower.
Please read my forum signature.

Likes Julius Ceasar
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not going to waste 19 minutes of my life watching a YouTube video titled "AETHER FIELD IS THERE - THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!" It is almost certainly crackpottery.
Why is the word "almost" in this sentence ?

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy, omega_minus and Dale
Yeah, I skipped to the time stamp and didn't get very far. As a word of advice, avoid any video that says "ether, Aether, or free energy"

Julius Ceasar said:
the clock that is accelerated is relative
Velocity is relative, but (proper) acceleration is not. All inertial frames agree which twin accelerated.

omega_minus said:
Yeah, I skipped to the time stamp and didn't get very far. As a word of advice, avoid any video that says "ether, Aether, or free energy"
Unless it has the word "disproving" just before it.

• Haha
Likes phinds and omega_minus
Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed. (I could only take about 20 seconds of it.) Accordingly, I will delete the link.

omega_minus said:
This is another video of someone "proving" relativity is wrong by mis-stating the theory entirely.
omega_minus said:
It is perfectly acceptable for different times to elapse for different observers. It's the so-called spacetime interval that is preserved.

This is a cautionary tale to anyone looking at these kinds of videos, i thank you all.

Likes phinds
If you want to see a simple but concise explanation of the twin paradox go to YouTube and search for "Hewitt Twin Trip".

The entire analysis involves the Doppler effect, and although it's not stated, the rocket speed is ##0.6 \ c##.

Julius Ceasar said:
a clock cannot be both faster and slower.
If I am stationary and the traveling clock is moving to my left, then my judgment of his clock is by comparing his time to my times to MY left. On the other hand, he is judging my clock by comparing its progress with his times to HIS left (assuming we are facing each other). So we are both making judgments based on different sets of times. That is how each observer thinks that the other person's clock runs slower.

Mister T said:
If you want to see a simple but concise explanation of the twin paradox go to YouTube and search for "Hewitt Twin Trip".
Good sing along time song for hipsters here with kooky 1974 animation, :oldbiggrin: educational though about light flashing 5 times on out journey and 20 times on in journey. An observer sees the Doppler effect at shorter or longer intervals depending on direction of travel. Nice and easy.

So what's going on here is that relativity of simultaneity allows the two observers to disagree about what clock A reads at the same time that clock B reads 12:30 PM, and that allows them both to correctly conclude that the other clock is the slower one.

I like this, it explains it well.

Likes FactChecker and Dale

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity and is based on the idea that time is not absolute but relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does time dilation lead to apparent contradictions?

Time dilation can lead to apparent contradictions when considering the time experienced by an object in motion compared to an object at rest. This is because, according to the theory of relativity, time can pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This can result in situations where one observer measures a longer or shorter time interval than another observer, leading to apparent contradictions.

3. Can you provide an example of an apparent contradiction in time dilation?

One example of an apparent contradiction in time dilation is the "twin paradox." This thought experiment involves two twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will have experienced less time than the twin who stayed on Earth, leading to an apparent contradiction in their ages.

4. How is the apparent contradiction in time dilation resolved?

The apparent contradiction in time dilation is resolved by understanding that time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been confirmed through numerous experiments. It is not a contradiction, but rather a consequence of the theory of relativity. The apparent contradictions can be resolved by considering the different frames of reference of the observers and the relative speeds at which they are moving.

5. What are the practical implications of time dilation?

The practical implications of time dilation are significant in fields such as space travel and GPS technology. For example, astronauts traveling at high speeds experience time dilation, which means they age slower than people on Earth. This must be taken into account in space missions to ensure accurate timing and communication. Additionally, GPS satellites must account for time dilation in order to provide accurate location data on Earth.