Apple richer than government

In summary: Apparently Apple now has more reserve cash than the US government. This has caused a lot of people in the UK to be worried because they think that it could lead to a further, unaffordable recession in the US. However, there will be a last minute save, and the tea party has dug itself a grave.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Apparently Apple now has more reserve cash than the US government
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470

This is getting a bit ridiculous, I'm not American so I can't comment well on opinion or politics in the US but here in the UK people are quite worried that this irresponsible ideological chicken is going to have huge effects on our economy. Considering we are having to undergo very unpopular and harsh budget cuts people are worried that economic problems in the US could send the UK into a further, unaffordable recession.

Is there going to be a last minute save or has the culture gap royally screwed US and other countries economies?

Physics news on Phys.org
For comparison - how much cash does the UK have on hand? (not trying to be snarky - but just trying to put it in perspective, I honestly don't know how much other countries keep on hand)

I think the scarier part isn't that Apple has more cash than the US government (which seems a poor, irrelevant comparison) - it's that it has that much cash on hand period. Right now is not a good time for businesses in the US, so businesses that are making money aren't reinvesting as much as they could. They're sitting on their cash - the article indicates a possible buy out incoming, but that doesn't really do much to grow the economy. The business that they'd buy is already established - there's no real wealth creation happening there (unless Jobs uses his money in whatever they buy to grow it - but if it's BN or Netflix, I don't see them turning around those company's shrinkage). IMO that type of consolodation may only be bad for the market in general.

I honestly don't know about the UK. I know that our economy contains ~$2.3 trillion, our deficit is ~$150 billion per annum and our debt has reached ~$775 billion.

I'm not an expert but businesses hoarding their money could be a way of trying to survive an oncoming economic catastrophe. The danger of that is of course it hastens the problem.

ryan_m_b said:
Apparently Apple now has more reserve cash than the US government
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470

This is getting a bit ridiculous, I'm not American so I can't comment well on opinion or politics in the US but here in the UK people are quite worried that this irresponsible ideological chicken is going to have huge effects on our economy. Considering we are having to undergo very unpopular and harsh budget cuts people are worried that economic problems in the US could send the UK into a further, unaffordable recession.

Is there going to be a last minute save or has the culture gap royally screwed US and other countries economies?

There will be a last minute save. The tea party has dug itself a grave.

Course then, I never believed this country could elect someone like Bush, so what do I know.

I cannot comment on politics or economic policies. However, I can say that it is not uncommon for large companies, such as Apple, to have more reserve cash than governments. This is due to the fact that companies focus on maximizing profits and often have more efficient financial management strategies than governments. Additionally, companies like Apple generate revenue through sales and investments, while governments rely on taxes and other sources of income. It is important for governments to have a balance between spending and saving, but ultimately it is up to their economic policies and decisions to determine their reserve cash levels.

1. How is Apple richer than the government?

Apple's net worth is higher than the U.S. government's because of its consistently high profits and market value. As a private company, Apple does not have to budget for public services or pay taxes like the government does.

2. What factors contribute to Apple's wealth?

Apple's success can be attributed to factors such as its innovative products, loyal customer base, and strategic marketing strategies. The company also has a large cash reserve and invests heavily in research and development.

3. Is it common for a company to be richer than the government?

No, it is not common for a company to be richer than the government. Most governments have vast resources and budgets that far surpass those of even the wealthiest corporations.

4. How does Apple's wealth impact the economy?

Apple's wealth has a significant impact on the economy, as the company employs thousands of people and contributes to the GDP of the countries where it operates. Its success also benefits suppliers and other businesses in its supply chain.

5. What are the potential consequences of a company being richer than the government?

Some potential consequences of a company being richer than the government include a lack of regulation and oversight, unequal distribution of wealth, and potential influence over government policies. It can also create a power imbalance between the company and the government.