Apple Swift programming language

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's past experience with programming in Microsoft Quickbasic and their interest in getting back into programming. They mention the Swift programming language, which is proprietary to Apple and may not be supported on non-Apple hardware for a long time due to Apple's track record. They also mention trying to program in Flash, but facing difficulties with it.
Algr
I used to program in Microsoft Quickbasic before MS abandoned it. I wasn't too advanced - my best program was a variant on Minesweeper. That was ages ago, but I'd like to get back into programing.

Now Apple has this Swift programing language. Is swift a good choice for me?

Technology news on Phys.org
Way to fresh if you ask me. Keep to something well established - Java or Python.

It may be fresh, but I think you'll have a lot more fun with it than Java or Python. I've been reading the docs on it recently and it looks pretty good to me.

Before you spend much time on Swift, ask yourself two questions:

1. Is it proprietary to Apple?
2. Will it work on non-Apple hardware?

Then estimate its lifespan before Apple stops supporting it, or changes it to something incompatible. (I would bet on somewhere between 6 months and 3 years maximum, given their track record.)

I also tried programing in Flash, but couldn't get anywhere with it. It was really opaque and I couldn't figure out why the program wouldn't do anything.

1. What is Apple Swift programming language?

Apple Swift is a general-purpose, compiled programming language developed by Apple Inc. for their platforms and Linux. It was first released in 2014 and is designed to work alongside Objective-C and Cocoa/Cocoa Touch frameworks, as well as being backward compatible with Objective-C code.

2. What are the key features of Apple Swift?

Some of the key features of Apple Swift include its modern syntax, powerful error handling, type inference, automatic memory management, and functional programming capabilities. It also has a built-in library for common programming tasks, making it easier to write code.

3. Is Apple Swift suitable for beginners?

Yes, Apple Swift is suitable for beginners as it has a simple and easy-to-learn syntax. It also has a playground feature that allows users to experiment and see results in real-time, making it a great language to learn for those just starting out in programming.

4. Can Apple Swift be used for developing iOS apps?

Yes, Apple Swift can be used for developing iOS apps. In fact, it is the primary programming language used for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS app development. It has a strong integration with Apple's frameworks, making it a powerful tool for developing native apps for Apple's platforms.

5. Is Apple Swift open-source?

Yes, Apple Swift is open-source, which means that the source code is available for developers to view, modify, and contribute to. This allows for a collaborative community to improve the language and add new features. It is now developed as a multi-platform language, making it even more accessible for developers.