Applications of Resonance in Weaponry?

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the potential of resonance as a weapon and its limitations, specifically in terms of targeting and frequency adjustment. While it is possible to harm humans with directed sound, it would affect all in the targeted region, and it is unlikely that resonance could be tuned to affect a specific person due to the similar size and shape of humans. There are also international conventions in place for using resonant technologies as weapons.
saw_tooth
I apologize for the simplicity of this question. I am not a physics student but am an aspiring author and am developing a fictional story outline that will include applications of resonance (specifically the ability to move, levitate, or destroy objects using resonance). I am trying to stay as true to laws of physics as possible while making the applications integrate well into the storyline.

My specific question is, can the idea of resonance be weaponized (is this an acoustical weapon such as those deployed recently in Iraq)? Can weaponized resonance be "tuned" to affect the "frequency" of a specific person? In other words, is it theoretically possible to develop a weapon that could use resonance to incapacitate an individual and have the weapon be able to automatically adjust the frequency needed to be "resonant" with multiple individuals at once or instantly from one individual to the next?

I apologize in advance if this is a naive or overly simple question. I just want as firm a grasp of the idea of resonance and its applications specific to the story as possible. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can weaponized resonance be "tuned" to affect the "frequency" of a specific person?
I doubt that. Humans are not tuning forks. You can harm humans with (directed) sound, but it will affect all in the targeted region.

My specific question is, can the idea of resonance be weaponized (is this an acoustical weapon such as those deployed recently in Iraq)? Can weaponized resonance be "tuned" to affect the "frequency" of a specific person? In other words, is it theoretically possible to develop a weapon that could use resonance to incapacitate an individual and have the weapon be able to automatically adjust the frequency needed to be "resonant" with multiple individuals at once or instantly from one individual to the next?

Very unlikely as we are all about the same size and shape. I suppose it might be possible to exploit the size difference between children and adults?

Google can easily find papers on Acoustic Weapons..

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2582436/Acoustic-Weapons

Directional pulsed sound might also be a possibility but very hard to make narrow beams due to the long wavelength of sound.

Now if you were to use microwaves you might be be able to make directional beams and fry someone by resonating the water molecules in their body but there are international conventions on this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Applications of Resonance in Weaponry?

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. This results in a larger amplitude of vibration and can lead to significant effects in certain applications.

2. What are some real-world applications of resonance?

Resonance has a wide range of applications in various fields, including music, engineering, and science. Some common examples include musical instruments, electronic circuits, MRI machines, and earthquake-resistant buildings.

3. How is resonance used in musical instruments?

In musical instruments, resonance is used to amplify the sound produced by the instrument. The natural frequency of the instrument's body or strings is matched with the frequency of the sound waves produced, resulting in a louder and more sustained sound.

4. What are the potential dangers of resonance in engineering?

While resonance can be beneficial in some applications, it can also be dangerous in engineering. For example, bridges and buildings can collapse if they are exposed to resonance caused by strong winds or earthquakes. Similarly, machines can malfunction or break down if they experience resonance.

5. How is resonance utilized in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, resonance is used in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. This technique takes advantage of the natural resonance of hydrogen atoms in the body's tissues when exposed to a specific frequency of electromagnetic waves.