Applications of topological spaces not homeomorphic to R^n in physics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of topological spaces in physics, specifically those that are not homeomorphic to R^n. The concept of differentiability is important in physics, and it is only allowed on topological spaces that are homeomorphic to R^n. Riemannian manifolds are an example of such spaces and are widely used in modern physics. Other examples include Hilbert spaces and Sobolev spaces. Differentiability is a local phenomenon and requires a linear structure, such as a Euclidean space, for it to be applicable. Differentiation on a manifold involves using local charts and transporting the problem onto the chart to differentiate as usual. The most general type of geometric space that allows for differentiability is a differentiable
trees and plants
Hello. So, the question is do you know any applications of topological spaces which are not homeomorphic to R^n in physics? Motivation for the question i am making: as i think if a topological space is homeomorphic to R^n then differential calculus is allowed on it. Modern physics uses i think differential equations so i am interested in learning if these kind of topological spaces are used in physics and physicists have considered them interesting for applications in physics. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is exactly how Riemannian manifolds came into play and why they are considered. Other examples in physics are Hilbert spaces, Sobolev spaces etc.

They are homeomorphic near each point with R^n but globally they could be not homeomorphic to R^n, am i correct? Homeomorphism with R^n near each point is used for differentiable manifolds? Is there any other way to define differentiability in a topological space? Perhaps not? Or an equivalent of this? Or a more general?

universe function said:
They are homeomorphic near each point with R^n but globally they could be not homeomorphic to R^n, am i correct?
Yes.
Homeomorphism with R^n near each point is used for differentiable manifolds? Is there any other way to define differentiability in a topological space?
Not that I am aware of. Differentiability is a local phenomenon. It is a linear approximation of a otherwise curved space. Hence you need a linear structure where the derivatives live in, i.e. a Euclidean space. This means that local flatness is necessary to transport the concept into known areas. There are several generalizations which are not directly related to differentiable manifolds. E.g. the boundary operator in homological structures, or derivations of algebras can be considered as a form of derivatives; or different concepts like the Schwarzian derivative.

fresh_42 said:
Yes.
Not that I am aware of. Differentiability is a local phenomenon. It is a linear approximation of a otherwise curved space. Hence you need a linear structure where the derivatives live in, i.e. a Euclidean space. This means that local flatness is necessary to transport the concept into known areas. There are several generalizations which are not directly related to differentiable manifolds. E.g. the boundary operator in homological structures, or derivations of algebras can be considered as a form of derivatives; or different concepts like the Schwarzian derivative.
You mean a vector space, with linear maps?Having the properties of linear maps? Is this enough for differential calculus to be allowed on a set? Or more conditions are needed?

universe function said:
You mean a vector space, with linear maps?Having the properties of linear maps? Is this enough for differential calculus to be allowed on a set? Or more conditions are needed?
You also need a method to measure the accuracy of the linear approximation, i.e. something that makes it an approximation, not just an arbitrary linear space.

fresh_42 said:
You also need a method to measure the accuracy of the linear approximation, i.e. something that makes it an approximation, not just an arbitrary linear space.
Bus as i read for differentiable manifolds someone needs transition maps, not only a homeomorphism for the neighborhood to be homeomorphic to R^n at each point. Is this correct?

These are two different procedures. Differentiation on a manifold means, we take (and therefore need) a local chart, which is a flat map of the location we are at, transport the problem onto the chart, differentiate there as usual, since it is a copy of some ##\mathbb{R}^n##, and "upload" the result from the map into the manifold.

You can do this with any roadmap. Look out for a bended road you know and you have a map from. Then ask: If I would drive too fast on that road, where in the wild would I end up? Then take your map, search for the point where you are too fast and draw the tangent to it. That gives you the direction along which you will fly into the bushes. Go back to the road and see where the tangent points to in real life. This procedure is essentially what's going on if we differentiate on a manifold (real environment) using a chart (roadmap).

The other topic which we were currently talking about was the differentiation itself. We have that bended road on the map and want to draw a tangent, i.e. we are already in the ##\mathbb{R}^n##. I like the Weierstraß notation, for it is short and shows what happens:
$$\mathbf{f(x_{0}+v)=f(x_{0})+J(v)+r(v)}$$Equation (1) in https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
##\mathbf{J}## is the (linear) derivative, ##\mathbf{v}## the direction of the tangent, ##\mathbf{r}## the error margin of the approximation, and ##\mathbf{x_0}## the location where all this takes place. ##\mathbf{f}## is the road on the map.

Another question i have is in terms of a space allowing differentiability on it, what are the most general kind of geometric spaces so far that do this? Are they differentiable manifolds? And another one, when a vector space is differentiable? Should it at least be a manifold?

If we restrict ourselves to the classical concept, and not allow the other more general views as in the examples above, I'd say yes: we need a differentiable manifold. Look at Weierstraß' formula: we need something which gives meaning to the quantities it uses.

As a slight generalization, one can also discuss differentiability for a space S that is given as an embedded subspace of a differentiable manifold M. Then a map into S is differentiable if it is so as a map into M, and a map out of S is differentiable if it is locally the restriction of a differentiable map out of M. In particular if S is itself a manifold embedded in R^n, this technique allows one to discuss differentiation for S without using local charts. This is often done in elementary treatments to simplify the presentation. e.g. Milnor's Topology from the differentiable viewpoint. But it can also be applied to spaces that are not manifolds, but are embedded in manifolds like R^n. E.g. one can discuss differentiability this way for a figure eight, or a cusp in the plane. A related technique, but more algebraic, is also used in algebraic geometry to discuss differentiability for spaces defined by algebraic equations, but which may not be everywhere manifolds, i.e. for "singular algebraic spaces". These may be embedded in affine space, projective space, or even may be abstract spaces, but equipped with a "structure sheaf" of functions which are differentiable essentially by fiat. For this one may consult Serre's "Faisceaux algebrique coherent".

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1969915?origin=crossref&seq=1

If you prefer English to French, here is a link to a translation:

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/14404/serres-fac-in-englishActually Serre is much too abstract and advanced for a naive intro, if interested, try Undergraduate algebraic geometry, by Miles Reid.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
If we restrict ourselves to the classical concept, and not allow the other more general views as in the examples above, I'd say yes: we need a differentiable manifold. Look at Weierstraß' formula: we need something which gives meaning to the quantities it uses.
How about Frechet spaces and the like?

Spaces unlike R^n that I believe are used in Physics ( Don't ask for details) are the L^p spaces and other function spaces you define Fourier series in ##L^2[a,b]##. For one, these are infinite-dimensional, so not like R^n.

WWGD said:
How about Frechet spaces and the like?
Fréchet differentiability is not much different than the Weierstraß formula, just that the vectors and function live in Banach spaces, and the linear approximation is an operator.

universe function said:
Hello. So, the question is do you know any applications of topological spaces which are not homeomorphic to R^n in physics?
Anything compact will not be homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##. For example spheres.
Motivation for the question i am making: as i think if a topological space is homeomorphic to R^n then differential calculus is allowed on it. Modern physics uses i think differential equations so i am interested in learning if these kind of topological spaces are used in physics and physicists have considered them interesting for applications in physics. Thank you.
Differential calculus is local, you only need things to be locally like ##\mathbb R^n##, so any smooth manifold will do.

Likes WWGD

1. What are topological spaces and how are they used in physics?

Topological spaces are mathematical structures that describe the properties of space and how objects can be arranged within it. In physics, they are used to study the shape, connectivity, and continuity of physical systems, such as the behavior of particles or the structure of a material.

2. What does it mean for a topological space to be homeomorphic to R^n?

A topological space is homeomorphic to R^n if it has the same shape and structure as n-dimensional Euclidean space. This means that there exists a continuous, bijective function between the two spaces, where the inverse function is also continuous. In other words, they can be transformed into each other without any tearing or gluing.

3. How are topological spaces not homeomorphic to R^n relevant in physics?

In physics, there are many systems that cannot be accurately described by Euclidean space, such as fractals, networks, and chaotic systems. These systems exhibit properties that cannot be captured by traditional geometry, but can be studied using topological spaces. For example, topological spaces can help us understand the behavior of complex systems like the weather or the stock market.

4. Can you give an example of an application of topological spaces not homeomorphic to R^n in physics?

One example is the study of phase transitions in materials. In this case, the material's properties change abruptly at a critical point, such as when water turns into ice. Topological spaces can be used to describe the behavior of the material at this critical point, allowing physicists to better understand and predict the properties of the material.

5. Are there any limitations to using topological spaces in physics?

While topological spaces are a powerful tool in physics, they do have some limitations. For example, they cannot capture the concept of distance or scale, which is often important in physics. Additionally, topological spaces may not be able to fully describe the behavior of systems that are constantly changing or evolving, as they are based on fixed structures. Therefore, it is important for physicists to carefully consider the limitations of topological spaces when applying them to real-world problems.