Applied force of a ball on a glove

In summary, a 0.145 kg baseball traveling at 35.0 m/s strikes a catcher's mitt and recoils backwards by 0.11 m, coming to rest. Using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, we can solve for the acceleration of the ball to be -17592.4 m/s^2. Multiplying this by the mass of the ball gives us the average force applied by the ball on the glove, which is equal to 807 N.
Zack K

Homework Statement

A 0.145 kg baseball traveling at 35.0 m/s strikes a catcher's mitt which, in bringing the ball to rest, recoils backwards 0.11 m. What was the average force applied by the ball on the glove

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma or F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly so lost with this and skeptic because I have caught a couple errors on this problem sheet. I have no clue on how to get the acceleration of the ball to find the other variables. It doesn't give you time or the final velocity .

Physics news on Phys.org
You need all three Newton's laws to understand the problem - and the work-energy relation is a good place to start.

Zack K said:
It doesn't give you time or the final velocity .

Yes it does:

Zack K said:
bringing the ball to rest

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rest
7. cessation or absence of motion:You want to find an acceleration from an initial velocity, final velocity and a distance, which of the SUVAT equations can do that?

Simon Bridge said:
You need all three Newton's laws to understand the problem - and the work-energy relation is a good place to start.
But we have not learned that unit yet. We are supposed to find the answer with what we know which is 1d kinematics and Newtons laws of motion.

billy_joule said:
Yes it does:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rest
7. cessation or absence of motion:You want to find an acceleration from an initial velocity, final velocity and a distance, which of the SUVAT equations can do that?
We aren't supposed to know any of these more advanced kinematic equations. Only Newtons laws of motion and the 3 main kinematic equations which are vf=vi+at, d=vit+1/2at2 and vf2+vi2+2ad. Also wouldn't the final velocity be equal to whatever it is when it bounces back 0.11m?

wouldn't the final velocity be equal to whatever it is when it bounces back
That is correct. The problem statement says that, after the ball and mitt have recoiled 11m, they are "at rest".

We aren't supposed to know any of these more advanced kinematic equations. Only Newtons laws of motion and the 3 main kinematic equations...
You can do the problem with ALL Newton's laws, and knowing those kinematic equations.
Can you find an equation where acceleration is the only unknown?

Simon Bridge said:
That is correct. The problem statement says that, after the ball and mitt have recoiled 11m, they are "at rest".You can do the problem with ALL Newton's laws, and knowing those kinematic equations.
Can you find an equation where acceleration is the only unknown?
vf2+vi2+2ad. I just tried it now by putting the vf as 0, the vi as 35 and the d as 0.11, but I didn't get the answer.
Edit: I even changed the vi to 0 assuming that the initial velocity is when the ball is in the glove. Still nothing.
Edit #2: I managed to get the answer from a previous thought. I got a crazy high acceleration and didnt continue because I thought that it was too high to be true. But then I went back to it. vi=35 and vf=0 d=0.11. Get the acceleration and multiply that by the mass to get 807 N

Last edited:
Please show your working.
Note: "vf2+vi2+2ad" is incorrect.

Simon Bridge said:
Please show your working.
Thank you for your help!

Related to Applied force of a ball on a glove

1. What is applied force?

Applied force is the external force that is applied to an object, either by a person or another object. It can cause the object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

2. How is applied force measured?

Applied force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using a force meter or a spring scale. It can also be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration.

3. What factors affect the applied force of a ball on a glove?

The applied force of a ball on a glove can be affected by the speed and direction of the ball, the material and design of the glove, and the strength and technique of the person catching the ball.

4. How does the applied force of a ball on a glove affect the glove?

The applied force of a ball on a glove can cause the glove to compress and deform, depending on the strength and speed of the ball. This can also cause the glove to experience wear and tear over time.

5. How does the applied force of a ball on a glove differ from the force of a ball hitting a wall?

The applied force of a ball on a glove involves a person catching the ball and absorbing the force, while the force of a ball hitting a wall involves the ball bouncing off the wall with the same amount of force that it hit the wall with.