Apply to Work for City of Bozeman: Social Networking & Passwords

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary: Records are not sent without an authorization to release information signed by you. Most insurance companies have their own authorization form for you to sign. These generally are a "blanket" release authorizing release...not just for the specific job for which you are applying.
Evo said:
If that was to me, I'm not a lawyer, but under the current right to privacy laws I'm sure it would be a lawsuit that would be considered.

No one was forced to provide the information, nor was it obtained without the applicant's permission, so privacy isn't an issue here. As I noted previously, the applicant was free to decline to provide it and the city was free to decline to hire them.

Physics news on Phys.org
negitron said:
No one was forced to provide the information, nor was it obtained without the applicant's permission, so privacy isn't an issue here. As I noted previously, the applicant was free to decline to provide it and the city was free to decline to hire them.

How about naked driver's license photos? Privacy isn't an issue, you give your permission and you are free not to supply them - and are free not to drive.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You might say that an employer is only making a request and that if you refuse then they do not have to give you a job. This is called coercion.

No, it is not. Coercion only occurs when a person is forced to involuntarily perform an action, such as provide information. No such condition exists here.

negitron said:
If it's proved that the applicant provided the information under duress, or was led to believe that they were legally required to divulge such information...big lawsuit.

negitron said:
No, it is not. Coercion only occurs when a person is forced to involuntarily perform an action, such as provide information. No such condition exists here.
"You want a job? Well then we need access to your private accounts or we won't hire you." If someone requests information which they have no right to request as a basis for hire that is called coercion.

Evo said:
If it's proved that the applicant provided the information under duress, or was led to believe that they were legally required to divulge such information...big lawsuit.

Do we have some evidence that this was the case?

negitron said:
Do we have some evidence that this was the case?
That will be yet to be seen if anyone dares to file suit in such a small town.

negitron said:

Either you give up the job that you enjoy and are well-suited for, or you have no right to privacy? Forcing people to make that choice is coercion.

negitron said:
Uh, no. Don't put words in my mouth; if you don't understand my point, just ask me to explain it to you.

Kindly explain why this:

You have a right not to provide this information and they have a right not to hire you. Simple.

does not apply to overwork or sexual abuse if the waiver states that they will occur.

Evo said:
My boss couldn't even ask me why I was going out on disability. I was going out on full pay for 8 weeks, and I was not required to tell him the reason. That was between me and human resources. Only my case manager can know. It's that private and sensitive. I'm only required to tell him I have been approved to go out on full pay and will be back on such date. He can't ask me anything.

I hope whatever it is it's not too serious and you're feeling better.

To my mind, the interesting question has to do with the terms of service of these services. I'm sure Facebook is typical when they say, "6. You will not share your password, let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account." So, effectively, they are asking prospective employers to violate the terms of their accounts with these social networking sites.

Carried one notch further, that would argue that since the only way an applicant could be considered would be not to have such accounts, they are effectively banning participation on such sites. That surely has interesting legal implications.

Well the fact that the ACLU was getting involved within a week suggests that there's probably the smell of a lawsuit there.

Vanadium 50 said:
I hope whatever it is it's not too serious and you're feeling better.
Thanks, just a routine elective operation, and I am recovering from the surgery.

Just give them the information.

Username : Alfi
Password : **************

How would they know if you made a slight error?

I have never been stingy with my passwords, giving them to total strangers who never even asked for them. As you may recall, this turned out to be a good thing when that Nigerian princess put $20,000,000 into my checking account. However, I will not give out my PF password for it is too precious.

Well I'm glad I'm not applying for a job there. After they see this thread, ... no job for me. :frown: