Applying a distributed load in Abaqus

In summary, to apply a distributed pressure in Abaqus on a compressor nozzle, you can use the "Surface Pressure" load option and define the distribution using a function or tabular data set. It may be simpler to apply the inlet pressure over the partitions before the reduction in area and then apply the exit pressure for the reduced area and subsequent partitions for a more realistic simulation.
BSids
Hey all,

So in relation to another question I've posted, I need to apply a distributed pressure in Abaqus on a compressor nozzle. Up to now I was just applying a uniform pressure throughout but I'm wondering how I would apply a pressure distribution?

Also would it be simpler to just apply the inlet pressure over the partitions before the reduction in area and then for the actual reduction and subsequent partitions to apply the exit pressure?

Here is a pic of the model and partitions

WIN_20150322_200314.JPG

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Applying a distributed pressure in Abaqus can be achieved by using the "Surface Pressure" load option. This allows you to specify a pressure distribution along a surface, such as your compressor nozzle. You can define the distribution either by specifying a function or by using a tabular data set.

As for your second question, it may be simpler to apply the inlet pressure over the partitions before the reduction in area and then apply the exit pressure for the reduced area and subsequent partitions. This will allow for a more realistic simulation of the pressure distribution in the nozzle.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your simulation!

1. What is a distributed load in Abaqus?

A distributed load in Abaqus is a type of load that is applied over a specified area or surface, rather than at a single point. It can be used to simulate real-life scenarios such as the weight of a vehicle on a bridge or the pressure of wind on a building.

2. How do I apply a distributed load in Abaqus?

To apply a distributed load in Abaqus, you will first need to create a load definition and specify the load type as "distributed." Then, you can select the desired surface or area on your model and specify the magnitude, direction, and distribution of the load. Finally, you can apply the load to your model through a load step or boundary condition.

3. Can a distributed load be time-dependent in Abaqus?

Yes, a distributed load in Abaqus can be time-dependent. This means that the load can vary in magnitude, direction, or distribution over a specified period of time. This feature is useful for simulating dynamic or transient events, such as a moving load on a bridge or changing wind conditions on a building.

4. How does a distributed load affect the results of my Abaqus simulation?

A distributed load can have a significant impact on the results of your Abaqus simulation. Depending on the magnitude, direction, and distribution of the load, it can cause structural deformations, stresses, and strains in your model. It is important to carefully consider and accurately apply distributed loads in order to obtain realistic and accurate simulation results.

5. Are there any limitations to applying a distributed load in Abaqus?

While distributed loads are a useful tool in Abaqus simulations, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. For example, the load must be applied to a surface or area, rather than a point, and it cannot be applied to a rigid body. Additionally, the distribution of the load must be specified as either uniform or linear, and the magnitude and direction must remain constant throughout the load step.