Applying Limits to Find the Vertical Asymptote

In summary, the function e^(6-2x) + 5 does not have a vertical asymptote. The graph does, however, have a horizontal asymptote at y = 5. As x approaches negative infinity, the function approaches 5. There is also no x-intercept, as the function never crosses the x-axis. The only critical point is at x = 3, where the function has a horizontal asymptote of y = 5. The function is monotonically decreasing on the interval (-infinity, 3) and is monotonically increasing on the interval (3, infinity). There is no point where the function "blows up" vertically.
The_ArtofScience
Sorry to be a bother at this time around. I have a question though about a weird looking function : e^(6-2x) + 5. (The 5 is outside of the parenthesis, so it is a coefficient, not an exponent). I am interested in seeing how to use limits to construct its graph. In particular, I want to find out what it looks like to the left of 3. (Its vertical asymptote in short) y - intercepts

y = e^(6) + 5

(0, e^(6) + 5) x - intercepts

0 = e^(6) / e^(2x) + 5

-5e^(2x) = e^(6)

Since natural logging it would give an undefined answer there is no x-intercept. At x --> infinity (e^(6)/ e^(2x) + 5) tends to 5. Then the horizontal asymptote is 5.

Applying the derivative test, e^(6-2x) + 5 becomes (-2)e^(6-2x) + 5. Its only critical point or when f'(x) = 0 is at x = 3. Evaluating at x=2 and x=4 it appears to have negative values indicating that the function is decreasing. When x = 3 is put back into the original f(x) it gives 5, indicating that the asymptote starts at 3.

Since the horizontal asymptote starts at x = 3. At x --> 3- (e^(6-2x) + 5) = + infinity. The function from the left of 3 is a monotic function because like stated before, the MVT says that at f'(c) = 0 and the only critical point is at x = 3 so it is safe to assume that it has either an increasing or decreasing pattern.

I know that at x = 3 it has a HA = 5, but how can you find the exact point where the function begins to to "blow up" vertically?

Physics news on Phys.org
The_ArtofScience said:
Sorry to be a bother at this time around. I have a question though about a weird looking function : e^(6-2x) + 5. (The 5 is outside of the parenthesis, so it is a coefficient, not an exponent). I am interested in seeing how to use limits to construct its graph. In particular, I want to find out what it looks like to the left of 3. (Its vertical asymptote in short)

y - intercepts

y = e^(6) + 5

(0, e^(6) + 5)

x - intercepts

0 = e^(6) / e^(2x) + 5

-5e^(2x) = e^(6)

Since natural logging it would give an undefined answer there is no x-intercept. At x --> infinity (e^(6)/ e^(2x) + 5) tends to 5. Then the horizontal asymptote is 5.

Applying the derivative test, e^(6-2x) + 5 becomes (-2)e^(6-2x) + 5.
NO. The derivative of "5" is 0.

Its only critical point or when f'(x) = 0 is at x = 3.
Again, no. Even using your "derivative", if x= 3, 6- 2x= 0 but -3e0+ 5= 3, not 0. f'= -2e6- 2x is never 0.

Evaluating at x=2 and x=4 it appears to have negative values indicating that the function is decreasing. When x = 3 is put back into the original f(x) it gives 5, indicating that the asymptote starts at 3.

Since the horizontal asymptote starts at x = 3. At x --> 3- (e^(6-2x) + 5) = + infinity. The function from the left of 3 is a monotic function because like stated before, the MVT says that at f'(c) = 0 and the only critical point is at x = 3 so it is safe to assume that it has either an increasing or decreasing pattern.

I know that at x = 3 it has a HA = 5, but how can you find the exact point where the function begins to to "blow up" vertically?

you can't- it doesn't. There is NO vertical asymptote.

Hi Halls,

Thanks for catching the derivative error I made. I did put the function in an online graphing calculator and did see a vertical asymptote.

http://www.coolmath.com/graphit/

That's not a vertical asymptote. A vertical asymptote is a line, x = a, where a is some finite number. On either side of this line the graph of a function becomes unbounded in some way (i.e., approaches infinity or negative infinity).

Your exponential function grows very large as x becomes negative. What you probably saw was the graph getting very steep for some negative value of x. In a similar way, the graph of, say, f(x) = x^3 gets pretty steep for large values of x, but it too does not have a vertical asymptote.

Related to Applying Limits to Find the Vertical Asymptote

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that represents a value where the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input approaches that value. It is typically denoted by a dashed line on a graph.

How do you find the vertical asymptote of a function?

To find the vertical asymptote of a function, you must first set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the value of x. This value will be the vertical asymptote of the function. If the function has multiple terms in the denominator, you may need to factor the expression to find all possible vertical asymptotes.

What is the purpose of finding the vertical asymptote of a function?

The vertical asymptote of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. It can also help us determine the domain and range of a function, as well as identify any discontinuities in the graph.

What is the difference between a removable and non-removable vertical asymptote?

A removable vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that can be removed or "filled in" to create a continuous graph. This occurs when there is a common factor in the numerator and denominator of a rational function. A non-removable vertical asymptote cannot be removed or "filled in" and represents a true discontinuity in the graph.

Can a function have more than one vertical asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple vertical asymptotes. This occurs when there are multiple values of x that make the denominator of the function equal to zero. In this case, there will be a vertical asymptote for each of these values of x.