Applying Simpson's Rule with 7 Pieces: Solving the Int.

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the application of Simpson's Rule and how it can be used to estimate the value of a definite integral. We also examined a specific example using 7 data points and determined that Simpson's Rule can still be applied with 6 intervals. The estimated area using Simpson's Rule was calculated to be approximately 6.77397189284.
shamieh
When applying Simpson's rule, suppose I have to slice up my function into 7 pieces, which would be odd. Then how would I apply Simpson's rule to my problem? Doesn't the n have to be equal to some even number?

I'm a bit confused, here is the question.

Estimate \(\displaystyle \int ^{2\pi}_0 f(x) \, dx\)The following data was collected about a function f(x)
\(\displaystyle x|f(x)\)

\(\displaystyle 0 | 1.000\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{3} | 1.513\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2\pi}{3} | 0.696\)

\(\displaystyle \pi | 1.000\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{4\pi}{3} | 1.107\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{5\pi}{3} | 0.937\)

\(\displaystyle 2\pi | 1.000\)

Sorry if it looks sloppy, I don't remember how to draw tables on this forum, anyways, with that being said, They are giving me 7 values, so they want me to split it into 7 pieces correct? So they want \(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta x}{3} [ f(0) + 4(\pi/3) + 2( 2\pi/3) ... 2\pi]\)

By the way I am just guessing they want me to split it into 7 pieces. Maybe they just want 6? I'm just not too sure, I feel like the approximate area would need to include all values. Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You do have 7 data points, but only 6 intervals ($n=6$), so Simpson's Rule will work here with no problems. :D

Oh I see. I'll be back with my solution soon! :eek:

Can someone verify my solution? It looks reasonable, just want to make sure though.(Muscle)

So I ended up with \(\displaystyle [1.000 + 4(1.513) + 2(0.696) + 4(1.000) + 2(1.107) + 4(0.937) + 1.000]\)

Which turned out to be \(\displaystyle \approx 19.406\)

Then I did \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{9} \approx .34906585039\)

thus \(\displaystyle .34906585039 * 19.406 \approx 6.77397189284\)

Looks good to me! :D

Related to Applying Simpson's Rule with 7 Pieces: Solving the Int.

1. What is Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces?

Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces is a numerical method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into 7 equal parts and using a quadratic function to connect the points.

2. When is it appropriate to use Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces?

Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces is most appropriate for functions that are smooth and can be approximated by a quadratic function. It is also useful when the interval between points is small.

3. How do you apply Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces?

To apply Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces, you need to divide the interval into 7 equal parts and calculate the values of the function at each of these points. Then, use the formula: (h/3)[f(x0) + 4f(x1) + 2f(x2) + 4f(x3) + 2f(x4) + 4f(x5) + f(x6)], where h is the width of each interval and f(xi) is the value of the function at the ith point.

4. What is the advantage of using Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces over other numerical methods?

Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces is more accurate than other numerical methods, such as the Trapezoidal Rule, because it uses a quadratic function to approximate the curve. This allows for a better estimation of the area under the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces?

Yes, Simpson's Rule with 7 pieces can only be used for functions that can be approximated by a quadratic function. It may also be time-consuming to calculate the values at 7 different points, making it less practical for larger intervals.