Applying to physics PhD programs with a non-traditional background

In summary, the person does not have an undergraduate degree in physics, but claims to have research experience and a background in mathematics and physics. They worry that they do not have the equivalent course credit for an undergraduate degree in physics, and that this might hold them back from getting accepted into a physics PhD program.
Squark123
Dear all ,

I'm interested in applying for PhD programs in physics this summer. I'm mostly interested in high energy theory. There are two things that concerns me :

1- I didn't take any physics / math course during my undergraduate years "In fact I graduated from medical school" but I studied the undergraduate+ graduate level curriculum independently.To substantiate this claim , I took the PGRE and scored 920 and worked as a physics TA and RA.During my RA years , I independently studied some advanced topics such as Twistor theory , mathematical gauge theory , QFT and other things.

2- I'm also interested in systems biology , biophysics and other medicine related disciplines. Unfortunately , I didn't spend much time researching biophysics , and so I think my SOP may be weaker in this regard. Given my background , Do I have a reasonable chance to get admitted to a physics PhD program studying Hep th?

Physics news on Phys.org
Missing equivalent course credit for the equivalent of undergraduate degree in Physics, best conclusion is, No.

Most graduate programs have a firm requirement of a degree in physics or a related field.

Is the person you RA'ed for willing to write you a letter? Is she known in her field?

No. But I intend to request LOR from professors who taught the graduate level courses that I attended and also the professors I TAed for. I understand the grad schools look for strong research potential. I'm going to use the available SOP space to highlight very specific physics problems that I have found interesting. e.g. in AdS holography.

To give you an idea about my background , I studied QFT and Supersymmetry from textbooks such as Weinberg , Srednicki ,.. I also studied algebraic topology , complex analysis from Hatcher , lang and others. I face some difficulty substantiating the claim that I have this background aside from LOR.

If you have no undergraduate degree, claim you did research and the research advisor won't write you a letter, I am not going to waste my time with your application. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Sure, it's possible that you might turn out to be an incredible find, but there's no evidence in your packet that this is likely to be the case. There will be much better prospects elsewhere in the stack of applications.

Likes Squark123
Thanks. I think you are right. I c manage to obtai
Vanadium 50 said:
If you have no undergraduate degree, claim you did research and the research advisor won't write you a letter, I am not going to waste my time with your application. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Sure, it's possible that you might turn out to be an incredible find, but there's no evidence in your packet that this is likely to be the case. There will be much better prospects elsewhere in the stack of applications.
Vanadium 50 said:

1. Can I apply to a physics PhD program if my undergraduate degree is not in physics?

Yes, many physics PhD programs welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds. While a degree in physics or a related field may be preferred, it is not always required. Admissions committees will also consider your research experience, coursework, and letters of recommendation.

2. What can I do to strengthen my application if I have a non-traditional background?

There are several steps you can take to strengthen your application. First, consider taking additional physics courses or completing a post-baccalaureate program in physics to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in the field. Second, get involved in research, either through internships or independent projects. Third, secure strong letters of recommendation from professors or researchers who can speak to your potential in physics. Lastly, prepare a compelling personal statement that explains your interest in physics and how your background has prepared you for a PhD program.

3. Will my non-physics background put me at a disadvantage during the application process?

Not necessarily. Admissions committees understand that students may come from different academic backgrounds and will evaluate your application holistically. However, it is important to demonstrate a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts of physics and a passion for the field through your coursework, research experience, and personal statement.

4. Are there specific physics PhD programs that are more welcoming to students with non-traditional backgrounds?

While each program is unique, some may have a larger percentage of students with non-physics backgrounds. It is important to research and reach out to individual programs to learn more about their admissions process and the diversity of their student body.

5. How can I determine if a physics PhD program is a good fit for me, considering my non-traditional background?

Consider reaching out to current or former graduate students in the program to learn about their experiences and whether they have a similar background to yours. You can also attend virtual or in-person information sessions or open houses to learn more about the program's curriculum, research opportunities, and faculty. Additionally, review the program's website and any published research from faculty members to determine if their research aligns with your interests.