AQA physics paper On potential energy in mass spring system

In summary: I have just realized where I think you may have made the error. It is what you have done with the \frac{1}{2}Fx . That formula arises from the straight line graph of a static load and the resulting extension. However, this load is not being loaded statically and allowed to extend naturally (it is being set in motion), and thus this formula doesn't really work. Much better to think of work we do as \frac{1}{2} k x^2 . Basically, we cannot use mg here as it does more work than just EPE in this scenario.To understand why the work we do is \frac{1}{2} , think about \int \
bonbon22
Homework Statement
The spring constant of a helical spring is 28 N mñ1. A 0.40 kg mass is suspended from the

spring and set into simple harmonic motion of amplitude 60 mm.
Relevant Equations
1/2 F * change in extension = E
1/2 k * x^2 = E
The spring constant of a helical spring is 28 N mñ1. A 0.40 kg mass is suspended from the

i use the equation 1/2 change in extension times by force where the force i assume is mass times by 9.8
but the mark scheme uses 1/2 kx ^2 and arrives at a different answer I am missing something but i don't know what it is?
the answer i got 0.392

answer in mark scheme 0.56

Physics news on Phys.org
bonbon22 said:

i use the equation 1/2 change in extension times by force where the force i assume is mass times by 9.8
but the mark scheme uses 1/2 kx ^2 and arrives at a different answer I am missing something but i don't know what it is?
the answer i got 0.392

answer in mark scheme 0.56
Amplitude is usually defined with respect to equilibrium. If this is a vertical system, then you will need to think about the extension required to reach equilibrium and include that in your EPE calculation. By this, I am talking about the spring extension required to balance the mass if it was stationary. So you will have the extension to equilibrium and the amplitude.

Hope that is of some help. Please reply if that doesn't yield the correct answer and I will have another look.

Master1022 said:
Amplitude is usually defined with respect to equilibrium. If this is a vertical system, then you will need to think about the extension required to reach equilibrium and include that in your EPE calculation. By this, I am talking about the spring extension required to balance the mass if it was stationary. So you will have the extension to equilibrium and the amplitude.

Hope that is of some help. Please reply if that doesn't yield the correct answer and I will have another look.
ahh yess i forgot to mention i did try that i found the extra static extention is 0.14 m including the amplitude
so when i plug it into the equation i use these values
0.4 * 9.8 * 1/2 * (0.14 + 60 *10 ^ -3 ) = 0.392

thank you for replying but i still do not quite understand

bonbon22 said:
ahh yess i forgot to mention i did try that i found the extra static extention is 0.14 m including the amplitude

Just to confirm, are we trying to find the EPE at maximum extension here? I will keep looking at this.

Master1022 said:
Just to confirm, are we trying to find the EPE at maximum extension here? I will keep looking at this.
the question phrased it as
the maximum potential energy stored in the spring during the first oscillation.

i should have mentioned that my bad

bonbon22 said:

I have just realized where I think you may have made the error. It is what you have done with the [itex] \frac{1}{2}Fx [/itex]. That formula arises from the straight line graph of a static load and the resulting extension. However, this load is not being loaded statically and allowed to extend naturally (it is being set in motion), and thus this formula doesn't really work. Much better to think of work we do as [itex] \frac{1}{2} k x^2 [/itex]. Basically, we cannot use mg here as it does more work than just EPE in this scenario.

To understand why the work we do is [itex] \frac{1}{2} [/itex], think about [itex] \int \vec F \cdot d \vec x [/itex] where [itex] F = kx [/itex]. Happy to flesh this out for you if necessary if you haven't seen much calculus before.

On a side note, you could also just consider energy. So we know energy is conserved here. Therefore:
GPE lost by mass -------> KE of mass + EPE in spring, but at the bottom, there is no KE, so:
GPE lost by mass -------> EPE in spring
so you could also use mgh to get the answer as well.

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a simple physical system that consists of a mass (or multiple masses) attached to a spring. The mass is able to oscillate back and forth due to the force of the spring.

2. How is potential energy related to a mass spring system?

Potential energy in a mass spring system is the energy stored in the spring when it is compressed or stretched. As the mass moves, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. How can potential energy be calculated in a mass spring system?

The potential energy in a mass spring system can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

4. What factors affect the potential energy in a mass spring system?

The potential energy in a mass spring system is affected by the spring constant (k), the displacement of the mass (x), and the mass itself. A higher spring constant or greater displacement will result in a higher potential energy, while a heavier mass will result in a lower potential energy.

5. How is potential energy conserved in a mass spring system?

In a mass spring system, potential energy is conserved as the mass oscillates between potential and kinetic energy. As the mass moves, the potential energy decreases while the kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. However, the total energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant, demonstrating conservation of energy.