Arc length of baseball motion

In summary: I'm also guessing you should probably use 15 degrees from the earlier question.But you can also leave it as just theta and treat it as an arbitrary constant which just happens to have an unknown value.
calcboi
The centerfield fence at a ballpark is 10 ft high and 400 ft from home plate. The ball is 3 ft above the ground when hit, and leaves with an angle theta degrees with the horizontal. The bat speed is 100 mph. Use the parametric equations x = (v0cos(theta))t y = h + (v0sin(theta))t - 16t^2
a. Write parametric equations for the path of the ball.
I got this as x = 146.7cos(theta)t and y = 3 + 146.7sin(theta)t - 16t^2
b. Graph the path of the ball if theta = 15 degrees. Is it a home run?
I got no because the ball only reached 349 ft, not 400 ft.
c. Find the arc length of the path of the ball until it lands.
This is the part I need help on. I don't know how to get the arc length.

Physics news on Phys.org
calcboi said:
The centerfield fence at a ballpark is 10 ft high and 400 ft from home plate. The ball is 3 ft above the ground when hit, and leaves with an angle theta degrees with the horizontal. The bat speed is 100 mph. Use the parametric equations x = (v0cos(theta))t y = h + (v0sin(theta))t - 16t^2
a. Write parametric equations for the path of the ball.
I got this as x = 146.7cos(theta)t and y = 3 + 146.7sin(theta)t - 16t^2
b. Graph the path of the ball if theta = 15 degrees. Is it a home run?
I got no because the ball only reached 349 ft, not 400 ft.
c. Find the arc length of the path of the ball until it lands.
This is the part I need help on. I don't know how to get the arc length.

Hi calcboi!

You can find the formula for arc length here on wiki.

In short the arclength L is:
$$L=\int ds = \int \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2} = \int \sqrt{(x'(t)dt)^2 + (y'(t)dt)^2} = \int \sqrt{x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2}dt$$

Thanks, but I am unsure what to use for the limits of integration.

calcboi said:
Thanks, but I am unsure what to use for the limits of integration.

Did you find the time at which the ball lands?
Let's call that T.
Then the integral limits are t=0 and t=T.

I like Serena said:
Did you find the time at which the ball lands?
Let's call that T.
Then the integral limits are t=0 and t=T.

I can't find T unless I have an angle for theta, and I don't know what to put for the angle. I am guessing I should use 15 degrees from the earlier portion but I'm not sure.

calcboi said:
I can't find T unless I have an angle for theta, and I don't know what to put for the angle. I am guessing I should use 15 degrees from the earlier portion but I'm not sure.

I'm also guessing you should probably use 15 degrees from the earlier question.
But you can also leave it as just theta and treat it as an arbitrary constant which just happens to have an unknown value.

1. What is the arc length of a baseball in motion?

The arc length of a baseball in motion refers to the distance traveled by the ball along its curved path from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove.

2. How is the arc length of a baseball calculated?

The arc length of a baseball can be calculated using the formula S = rθ, where S is the arc length, r is the radius of the ball's path, and θ is the angle of the arc.

3. Does the arc length of a baseball change depending on the pitch?

Yes, the arc length of a baseball can vary depending on the type of pitch thrown. Fastballs tend to have a shorter arc length compared to curveballs or sliders.

4. How does air resistance affect the arc length of a baseball?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the arc length of a baseball. The more resistance the ball encounters, the shorter the arc length will be.

5. Can the arc length of a baseball be used to determine the speed of the pitch?

Yes, the arc length of a baseball can be used to estimate the speed of the pitch. By measuring the distance traveled and the time it takes for the ball to reach the catcher's glove, the average speed can be calculated.