Archimedes principle and passing gas

In summary, the conversation discusses using a tub for a hemorrhoid and learning about the Archimedes principle. It also mentions accidentally farting in the tub and wondering if the fart gas increases the mass of the object. The answer is yes, but only by a small amount, and the water also flows into the hole, increasing the volume.
Charleskim24
I used a tub for my hemorrhoid. I learned the archimedes principle which the buoyant force is equal to the mass of water displaced. The tub was filled with water 4/5. I accidently farted in a tub and suddenly the water flew into the hole which is located on the top of tub.does the fart gas increase the mass of object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charleskim24 said:
I used a tub for my hemorrhoid. I learned the archimedes principle which the buoyant force is equal to the mass of water displaced. The tub was filled with water 4/5. I accidently farted in a tub and suddenly the water flew into the hole which is located on the top of tub.does the fart gas increase the mass of object?
Yes it increases the mass of the object altough very little. But the flowing of the water into the hole I think because the volume of the water also increases.

What is Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle, also known as the law of buoyancy, states that an object immersed in a fluid will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

How does Archimedes principle relate to passing gas?

When someone passes gas, they are releasing gas into the surrounding air. This gas takes up space and therefore displaces a certain amount of air. According to Archimedes principle, the gas will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the air it displaces.

Why does gas rise when it is released?

Gas rises when it is released because it is less dense than the surrounding air. This means that the gas will experience a greater upward force than the weight of the air it displaces, causing it to rise.

Does the amount of gas released affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the amount of gas released does affect its buoyancy. According to Archimedes principle, the buoyant force is directly proportional to the amount of fluid displaced. Therefore, the more gas that is released, the greater the buoyant force and the higher the gas will rise.

Can Archimedes principle be applied to any type of gas?

Yes, Archimedes principle can be applied to any type of gas as long as it is released into a fluid or air. This principle applies to both gases that are lighter or heavier than air, as long as they are released into a fluid with a different density than the gas.