Archimede's Principle-Hot air balloon floating

In summary, the density of hot air in the balloon is 1.12kg/m^3 at a constant height of 6.25m above ground. This is found by equating the buoyancy force to the weight of the balloon and cargo, and using the equation (p_f)(g)(V)=(m_B+m_a)(g), where m_B is the mass of the balloon and m_a is the mass of the air. The volume of air * difference in density = empty mass of the balloon.
etagg
1. Homework Statement
A hot-air balloon plus cargo has a mass of 1890kg and a volume of 11430m^3. The balloon is floating at a constant height of 6.25m above ground. What is the density of hot air in the balllon?

2. Homework Equations :
The force of buoyancy is equal to F=(p_f)(g)(V)
where p_f is equal to the density of the fluid displaced by the object. The force of buoyancy is equal to the weight of the air displaced.

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
Im really stuck. I recognize that for the balloon to be floating at a constant height, the buoyancy force must equal the weight of the balloon.
That is,
(p_f)V=m (gravity cancels on both sides)
Solving this for the density of the air displaced, i get 0.165kg/m^3. Unless if this is the answer and i am really overthinking it, I am not sure what aspect of this situation I am missing.
I thought that the density found by equating the buoyancy force to the weight is the density of the air outside the balloon.

How does the height of the balloon factor into the equation/situation?
I thought about using the equation P_2=P_1+pgh
but i don't think the atmospheric pressure would vary at a height of 6.25 m.

Im confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the balloon PLUS the hot air inside it must equal the weight of the air it is displacing.

The height (at least that close to the ground) doesn't have any effect, it might be there because there was another part to the question.

I don't think i understand.
I assumed the mass given was the mass of the balloon and cargo fully inflated? perhaps that was incorrect.

If i understood your hint correctly, i changed my equation to read:
(p_f)(g)(V)=(m_B+m_a)(g)
where m_B is the mass of the balloon and m_a is the mass of the air.
In this situation, i used a commonly accepted value for the density of air (1.29kg/m^3) and found the mass of hot air to be 12854.7, which gives a density of 1.12kg/m^3.

Is this what you meant

Yes, I assumed that the mass of the balloon didn't include the air in it - mainly because your assumption gave the wrong answer ;-)

Another way to think of it is that, the volume of air * difference in density = empty mass of the ballon.

Related to Archimede's Principle-Hot air balloon floating

1. What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle is a scientific law that states that any object submerged in a fluid experiences an upward buoyant force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

2. How does Archimedes' Principle apply to hot air balloons?

Hot air balloons work on the principle of buoyancy, where the hot air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding cool air, causing the balloon to rise. This is because the hot air displaces an amount of cool air that is equal to its own weight.

3. What is the role of the basket in a hot air balloon?

The basket in a hot air balloon serves as the platform for passengers and the burner, which heats the air inside the balloon. It also helps to distribute the weight of the balloon and its occupants evenly.

4. How do pilots control the altitude of a hot air balloon?

Pilots control the altitude of a hot air balloon by adjusting the amount of heat in the balloon. Adding heat causes the balloon to rise, while releasing heat allows the balloon to descend.

5. What are the limitations of Archimedes' Principle in hot air balloons?

Archimedes' Principle only applies to objects submerged in a fluid, so it does not fully explain the behavior of hot air balloons, which are not fully submerged in air. Other factors such as wind speed and direction also play a role in the movement of hot air balloons.